Ride (M)

Hanni

There were eighty-three vents, twenty-nine screws, five blades, and four bulbs on the ceiling fan above my bed. I rolled to my side, certain muscles mocking me and providing undeniable proof of why I was unable to sleep.

"I want you to watch. And tomorrow when you're sore, I want you to remember who did it to you."

She wasn't kidding.

Without realizing it, my hand had traveled to my breast, absently twisting my nipple beneath my tank top. Closing my eyes, the touch of my own hands turned into her in my memory. Her long, graceful fingers ghosting along the undersides of my breasts, her thumbs brushing my nipples, cupping me in her palms . . . damn it. I let out a loud sigh and kicked a pillow off my bed. I knew exactly where this train of thought was headed. I had done this exact same thing three nights in a row and it had to stop now. With a huff I rolled over onto my stomach and closed my eyes tight, willing sleep to come. As if that ever worked.

I still remembered, with perfect clarity, the day almost a year and a half ago when Matthew asked me up to his office for a talk. I'd started at KMG working as a junior assistant for Matthew when I was in college. When my mother died, Matthew had taken me under his wing; not so much a father figure, but certainly as a caring and warm mentor who had me to his home for dinner to keep an eye on my emotional state. He'd insisted his door would always be open for me. But on that particular morning, when he phoned my office, he sounded uncharacteristically formal, and frankly I was scared shitless.

In his office, he'd explained how his daughter had lived in Paris for the past six years, working as a marketing executive for Chanel. This daughter, Minji, was finally coming home, and in six months would take over the position of chief operating officer at Kim Media. Matthew knew I was a year into my business degree and was looking into internship options that would give me the critical hands-on experience I needed. He insisted I complete my master's internship at KMG and that the oldest Kim would be more than thrilled to have me on her team.

Matthew handed me the company-wide memo that would circulate the following week to announce Minji Kim's arrival.

Wow. That was my only thought as I looked over the paper on my way back to my office. Executive VP of product marketing at Chanel in Paris. Youngest nominee ever featured in the Crain's "Forty Under 40" list, published several times in the Wall Street Journal. A dual MBA from NYU-Stern School of Business and HEC Paris, where she specialized in corporate finance and global business, graduating summa cum laude. All by the age of thirty. Christ.

What was it Matthew had said? Extremely driven? That was an understatement if I'd ever heard one.

Niki had hinted that his sister didn't quite share her laid-back personality, but when I'd seemed concerned he quickly put my mind at ease. "She has a tendency to be a bit stiff and completely anal retentive at times, but don't worry about it, Hanni. You can handle her bark; you guys are going to be a great team. I mean, come on," he said, wrapping his large arm around me. "How could she not love you?"

I hated to admit it now, but by the time she was set to arrive, I had developed a bit of a crush on Minji Kim. I was extremely anxious about working with her, but I was also impressed with everything she'd accomplished in her relatively short life. Looking up her picture online didn't hurt either: the woman was a specimen. We communicated through e-mail leading up to her arrival, and although she seemed nice enough, she was never overly friendly.

On the big day, Minji wasn't due in until after the board meeting that afternoon, when she would be officially introduced. I had the entire day to work myself up into a ball of nerves. Being the good friend she is, Eunchae came upstairs to distract me. She sat in my chair and we spent over an hour discussing the merits of the Clerks movies.