7

'Lisa, I won't let you leave.' Lily clung to Eliza as she was packing up some of her clothes her suitcase.

'I'm sorry Lily, but you can come and visit me any time when you're older.' She suggested.

'That's not soon enough... you'll be gone, and this room will be empty. It's not fair.'

'If I was happy here, I would have stayed. You know I love you. Don't ever forget... I do have a present for you though.' Eliza walked Lily over to her empty desk, and she showed her Momo. 'Do you think you could look after him for me?'

Lily took Momo into her hands, and smiled faintly, before even more tears came flooding. 'She's going to miss you so much.'

Eliza wrapped Lily in for a hug, and her mother came into the room.

'This isn't fair Eliza. You promised to move over with us as a family. Now you leave?' She was stern and very cold. Eliza could feel the tension all the way from the doorframe.

'Japan is my home mother. Things change, people change, and it wasn't like I could live by myself at 13 in a separate country.'

'Your home is with us, not back there.' She argued.

'Mum I am a grown woman, why can't you see that? You both are still my family, but I need to go and do things for myself.' Eliza stroked Lily's hair, and her mother approached them both.

'You are my girls. I won't ever let you go if it was up to me.' Her mother sniffed. Eliza knew no matter how strong she had to be; it would always be difficult to let go. She had every reason too, but Eliza questioned the need for being clingy instead of showing her emotions.

'Your being so selfish.' She muttered. Eliza bit her tongue, she repeated in her head 'think of dad, think of how she hurts.'

Eliza began gathering her things and picked up her phone for any notifications from her previous house hunting. It had been two weeks since she submitted applications. The language barrier wasn't an issue as she could remember Japanese. Transport had to be arranged, bank accounts needed to be set up, and money needed to be transferred. This was all an issue without being a citizen in the country yet. She couldn't even get a deposit together for the flat she wanted to rent.

'Damn.' She sighed, seeing her inbox had no new messages. She then went online to check the availability of hotels near the date of her flight taking off in a week. She called the first hotel, but they were fully booked. So was the second, third and fourth.

She could catch a train outside of the city to stay somewhere quiet, but she'd have to see train times. It was all too much to think about.

She slammed her phone onto the table, 'I can't believe there is so much to do.'

'Postpone your flight.' Her mother said. 'There will be time to cancel it.' Eliza looked up to her mum continuing to pack her boxes for her.

'I want to be out there as soon as I can. How- how did you do this with us? It's so much work, I don't even know how you got two pre-teens and most of our things over here.'

'Don't you remember me selling everything in sight? It did take a lot of work. But I gave myself time. You haven't given yourself any time to do it.'

'Some would think I'm trying to run away.' Eliza smiled.

'If you don't want my help I can quietly leave.' Her mum suggested.

'No... sorry. I do need your help. I just don't know where to start.' Eliza said, and her mother took her in for a proper hug. One not filled with resentment, but with love. For the first time, in a few years.

'You are so strong to be doing this by yourself, but maybe take things a bit slower? Moving across the globe isn't easy. In fact, I wouldn't suggest it. But if you pack a carry on- luggage with your essential items, and then a bigger suitcase with things you will need in your apartment when you find one, that should be everything you need for the move. You are trying to take your whole life with you, but it won't work unless you minimize and start small.

-

'Eliza?' Beth called, walking up to her room.

'In here!' She answered, walking out to greet her in the hallway.

'Did you need help packing for the move? I just finished work.' Beth said.

'I think we are nearly packed up, but I'd like to have a coffee with you if you have the time?' Eliza asked, and Beth went downstairs with her to put the kettle on.

'So, how are things?' Eliza asked.

'Good, I am starting to realise that my students are going to be kind and naughty whenever they want, so I may as well get used to being firm but kind.'

'Hey, you do well with Daisy, why not with your students?' Eliza laughed.

'I guess so. I am starting to realise that organisation is so key in this job. Yesterday, I had completely lost a lesson on my computer! Good job it's music, I was able to make up a Beethoven piece on the spot.'

'Oh, that reminds me-' Eliza went upstairs and got a box from her bedroom. As she brought it back down and showed it to Beth, she read out it's writing in the sharpie.

'Beth, a composer you want to listen to with headphones on.' Beth punched Eliza for that.

'I don't understand why you are giving me a box. I have nothing you owe me for.'

'It's just to borrow, or maybe permanent... I don't know how long I'll be living out there.' Eliza confessed.

'No... I was joking about your violin!' She opened the box, and there it was in its beautiful case. The violin- Eliza's actual violin that she saved so hard to get. 'I remember you working your but off after school to get this, I can't accept.'

'It's either you get it, or it sits here collecting dust. I'd much rather you have it.' Eliza confessed.

'You are so amazing. I will keep it in tune and do you proud. Promise me you're not staying away forever so I can still give it to you when your back.' She laughed.

'No promises Beth, but I do appreciate your so kind to me. It's the least I can offer.'