8

'Do you know this address?' Julian tried asking in an unfamiliar language. Alfonzo had told him what to say to the tourists, but he didn't describe that it would take him so long to get over to England and try to learn the language. He had spent a few weeks living in a hotel and trying to find her address day after day. He was beginning to lose steam, as if looking for a missing person.

England was an unfamiliar country to Julian; it had been the first time he went abroad. He was used to seeing the ocean, and finding his friends in his little seaside village, but this was so much more intense. The city had flats that hundreds of people lived in, and thousands of people on the streets daily. What made it worse, was the thought that his girl could have already seen him.

Julian approached another tourist for the address, but they bumped his shoulder and carried on walking. He didn't like this city life; it was too much for him. He got out his mobile phone and called Alfonzo.

'Julian? How's it going?' Alfonzo asked him.

'Not good, I can't find the address. I also don't know anyone here, and worst of all I've been here for a while, and she may have already seen me! London is so busy, it's too hard to find her I don't know what to do---'

'Woah, woah.' Alfonzo stopped Julian mid-breakdown. 'Give the phone to a tourist, and I will speak to them. Maybe persuade them to give you directions to the nearest library. Say "excuse me".'

Julian followed Alfonzo's instructions. He found an older lady sitting on a bench opposite a big park that looked onto Big Ben. Alfonzo heard the woman speak English, and then pass the phone back to him. 'I have directions, all you need to do is follow them, Julian.' Alfonzo said.

Julian listened to where Alfonzo was directing, 'do you also know where your hotel is?'

'Yes, I have remembered. Take me to the library, so I can find some books or maps to speak their language.'

Alfonzo did so, he directed Julian to the great British library, and as Julian saw the outside he gasped. 'This is the biggest library I have ever seen.' He walked in, and they let him in straight away. The tourists were still hanging about like a shawl of fish, but most of them were sat down this time on the seating. It was a big library, and Julian approached the 'travel' section to find some books in Italian to start with. Alfonzo remained on the phone with him, talking through the different language sections of the library that he'd have to visit.

He found maps of London, and he also found translation books of English. He began learning the language of what he would need to ask the tourists, but the night dawned on him, and the opening times of the library didn't last. He would have to return the next day for more study of the language.

-

It had been nearly a week of studying in the library and trying to learn English. Julian felt drained of all this language work he was doing, but he began to get grounded with the basics.

'You've been studying hard today.' A girl approached him, and she sat opposite his textbooks.

'I am trying to learn English.' He said slowly in English.

'It sounds fine to me.' She admitted.

'Grazie.' He said in Italian, but quickly remembered he was in English mode. 'Thank you.' He tried again.

'I- recognise you. I don't know- why have you come to England?' She asked, sitting at his table.

'I am looking for this address.' He said, showing her the piece of paper.

'That's such a coincidence, my best friend lives here.' She said.

'What's your name?'

'Beth.' She took out her hand and he shook it.

'I'm Julian. Nice to meet you Beth, how old are you?'

'I'm 22, my boyfriend works here actually. I've come to visit for the day. I don't mind taking you to this address if you'd like. He must work for another hour.'

'Oh, that would really be good. Grazie, Beth!' Julian got up and packed away his textbooks.

'I am glad to have helped you.' She smiled, and they both walked to Eliza's house.

Julian looked down at his wrist, smiling again 'not long now.' He whispered. Beth caught sight of it, and smiled to herself, she knew it was Eliza's soulmate. Yet, she also knew she would be leaving today. Hopefully she hadn't left yet.