The Boy in the Iceberg

(Okay, here it is. The story begins. Hope you like it!)

"My little one. I'm so... so sorry that your daddy and I... won't be there. I love you." I open my eyes. And see the ceiling of my cot. The only memory I have of my mother. I was so young. Just born. And still, I remember her voice but not her face. I raise my right arm and look at the bracelet on my wrist. It was a simple design made from brown leather but it has a beautiful polished jade in the shape of a circle. They only thing I have of my mother. Heck, even of my father too. I let it drop onto my body as I breathe deeply.

"Time to start the day." I tell myself. And so I get out of my bed and get ready. I put up my long (H/C) in its usual braided bun, (Imagine it like Elsa's hair before she went ice crazy in Frozen. It's the closet thing I can think of.) I get dressed then put on my coat and grab my spear and a net. I exit out of my cot and look around the village. It was not much, but it's home. I start walking but stop as some kids run pass me. I smile at that, at least some people are having fun in these hard times. I continue walking, resting my spear on my shoulder as I look around. It has not been easy since Hakoda and the rest of the men had left to help fight in The War, but sometimes people have got to do what people feel like they got to do.

"You look ready." I stop as I look to see Gran Gran. Her name is Kanna, she's the elder of the tribe and practically the leader, though she would be but there is a bit of a sexist problem. But that has not stopped me from training and hunting for the tribe. Albiet, the training is done in secret. I walk over to her, "Yep. Ready to go hunt for some fish to eat." I answer, stopping to stand beside her. She gives me a smile, "That's good. Though, perhaps you should let Sokka and Katara come with you." She says.

Oh, boy. I glance away from Gran Gran. I mean, I would. Definitely. But they tend to be.... kind of... in their own little worlds. "Gran Gran, as much as I would appreciate the help, those two would probably cause us to get stranded on a stray piece of ice." I reply. Don't get me wrong, I was practically raised along side them, but Sokka is a bit sexist and Katara has a bit of a temper. Gran Gran chuckles, "I understand. But they are getting quite bored. And you know how they get when they are bored." She replies. I look at her with a blank look.

But then I sigh as I give in. When it comes to Gran Gran, she's a woman to be reckon with. Which is one of the reason as to why I admire her. "Okay." I agree. I then bid her bye and walked off to find Katara and Sokka. Hoping that I won't regret this.

I'm regretting this. I sat in the middle of the boat as we hunt for fish. It's been hours and we hardly have enough for a decent meal by Sokka standards. Sokka insisted that he'd be in the front and in charge since he is the man in the group while Katara sat in the back, mainly watching the water. I feel like I'm the exhaust older sister while they are the annoyingly over eager younger siblings. "It's not getting away from me this time. Watch and learn, ladies. This is how you catch a fish." Sokka says. Yeah, like the first several times that you showed us how to catch a fish, Sokka.

But I say nothing as Sokka focuses on his target. I hear Katara breathe then turn back as I see a ball of water with a fish in it start floating. Oh, right. Did I forget to mention that Katara is a waterbender? Oops. "Sokka. (Y/N). Look!" She says. "I'm looking. Good job, Katara." I praise her. "Shh, girls. You're gonna scare it away. Mmm. I can already smell it cooking." Sokka whispers. I roll my eyes. Always thinking about food. "But, Sokka, I caught one." Katara says. She then moves the water bubble and it floated above my head. Oh, boy. I can see where this is heading.

I quickly put on my hood right as Sokka rears his spear back and pops the water bubble. "Hey!" "Aah!" The fish jumps back into the water and Sokka gets soaked. Phew. At least I'm still dry. I push back my hood as it rests on my back. "And we lost two. Looks like we're having a light meal." I joke. "Not. Funny." Sokka complains. "And why is that every time you play with magic water, I get soaked?" He then complains to Katara. I hear Katara scoff as I turn back to look at her. "It's not magic. It's waterbending." She corrects. "And it's-" "Yeah, yeah-An ancient art unique to our culture, blah, blah, blah... Look, I'm just saying that if I had weird powers, I'd keep my weirdness to myself." "You're calling me weird?" Oh, boy. Here they go.