5

I SLAM THE DOOR SHUTbehind me, fingers fumbling with the lock

behind me, fingers fumbling with the lock. There's nobody inside—I checked twice—but my hands won't stop shaking.

With a frustrated click, the lock finally slides into place. I turn on my heel, stomping down the hallway.

Dragging my hand down my face, my mind's a mess of static. E.D showing up outta nowhere and talking to me? Is he outta his damn mind?

But even as I curse his name, I can't deny the dangerous pull I feel towards him.

The last time I entertained getting close to a man, it ended in nothing. Literally nothing.

I shake my head, trying to push the memories back into the shadows where they belong. E.D might be tempting, but I ain't about to let history repeat itself.

"Jesus Christ!" I exclaim as Missy and I collide at the end of the hallway. "What's up with you?"

"Nah, what's up with you?" She shoots back, her brow furrowed. "Deadass, M, what's wrong with you?"

"Ain't shit wrong with me, what's your problem?" I try to flip the script.

"So, we just gonna act like you didn't hook up with a stranger here?" She gestures wildly around us.

"I didn't—" but my words trail off as I realize the mess I'm about to make. Missy can't know about E.D.

Hell, I barely know E.D!

"Why you actin' like it's wrong? You did it!" I shrug.

"You think I wanted to? I did it cause me and wela had nowhere to go! You got a townhouse—" (Grandma.)

"With a three thousand dollar rent! I don't remember the last time I made over a grand!"

"This is what I do! I can throw some cash and papers your way, M, I'm here for you!" She tries to reason, but I'm done talking.

If Missy learns I've been speaking to people at GRU, she could cut me off, leading to a fallout with EGM faster than I can blink.

I've always been two steps ahead, but now I feel like I've taken a step back. I can't risk everything falling apart because of one stupid mistake. So I gotta stick with the lie, and keep selling this story about hoeing or whatever, even though it makes my skin crawl.

"I don't need cash," I manage to spit out.

"Just... don't even think about doing it, okay? This ain't the way, I promise you."