8

"SO, this your move? This what you do with other bitches?" Maëva's sitting shotgun, her eyes shooting daggers at me like always

She ain't gotta say it, but I know she can't stand my ass. And that's exactly why she's here, riding with me. She loves the way I mess with her head, it keeps her coming back for more.

The spot's dead quiet, just us and the glittering lights of Manhattan. Stars twinkling above, a rare sight in this concrete jungle.

I reach for my stash in the glove box, ignoring her suspicious glare. "Said I had a stop."

"A stop...for a puff? Sounds like an addiction," she quips, her eyes darting around like she's onto something. "Aren't you an athlete? Don't y'all get busted for this stuff?"

I chuckle, focused on rolling up. "Don't sweat it."

"Trust me, I ain't."

Hold up.

Nah, she's supposed to be all concerned, like, "Oh, you should really be careful," or hit me with that classic, "I didn't know you were like that." That one's my favorite cause, come on, everyone knows I'm like that.

But nah, she's not playin' the game. She ain't squirmin' or twirling her hair, tryna' mother me and shit.

"So, spill. Where you from?" I ask, grinding up the green. "You just popped up outta nowhere, a month into the semester!"

She rolls her eyes. "Mtchh, don't worry about it."

"Hold up," I can't help but laugh. "What was that sound you just made?"

"Excuse me?" She cocks her head.

"Nah, you know what I'm talkin' 'bout."

"Not the mtchh?" Her eyes widen as I nod. "I think all that basketball gave you mad injuries."

"Mtchh, yeah, aight!" I shrug.

She's cute, and I know for sure she wasn't making that sound before she met me. Nah, now I see it clear as day.

She's playing hard to get.

Don't test me.

"Nah, seriously though, what'd you do to make Dean Richards fold and let you start six weeks later? That's some unheard-of shit, you must've been real convincin'."

"Wait," she shifts. "Unheard?"

See how that subtle flattery worked.