9

"YO, I'm here!" I bark, my voice reverberating in the dimly lit sanctuary of the church's backroom

"YO, I'm here!" I bark, my voice reverberating in the dimly lit sanctuary of the church's backroom. Tossing my wig onto the rickety table, I curse under my breath, sick of these shady rendezvous spots. And a church? The irony ain't lost on me, adding another layer of disgust.

"What's the deal? Why we meetin' at three in the damn morning?" I demand.

Kitty, JD, and Missy huddle together, guilt dripping from their pores like blood from a fresh wound.

"Fuck," Missy snaps, her eyes shooting daggers at me as she practically lunges forward. "Where the hell you been? I been blowin' up your damn phone, what gives?"

"I passed out," I lie effortlessly, the words slipping off my tongue like a practiced routine. "And my phone died—"

"Really? You wanna front?" Missy flips her curls, her anger a tangible force as she paces crazily. "Geneva's gone missin'. M, you knew I was handlin' shit! You saw us in action, you should've had your eyes glued to your damn phone!"

"Hold up!" My fists clench, jaw tight as I turn to JD and Kitty, seeking answers. I stalk over to JD, gripping his shoulders and shaking him roughly. "What's she talking about?"

"H-he," JD stammers, fear flickering in his eyes like a dying flame. "H-her—"

"Spit it out in English!" I shake him harder, my glare boring into him like a bullet.

"She...she left with her main John, said he was takin' her out to eat—"

"And you didn't check in with us?" I grind out through clenched teeth, the taste of distrust bitter on my tongue.

"That's what I've been sayin'!" Suddenly, JD finds his voice, desperation coloring his words. "We tried callin' both of y'all!"

Out of nowhere, someone swoops in, grabbing me and pulling me away from JD with a firm grip. I shove him back, shooting him a sharp look. "Dimes? What the hell you doing here?"

Dimes and I, we're tight. Like family. But seeing him in this mess? Not cool. Missy and I swore on our lives, and now she's pulling Mike's brother into the mix?

I bite back, turning to Missy and Dimes. "So you couldn't hit me up?"

"Girl, I've been callin'—"

"Does Mike—"

"Mike's got the lowdown," Dimes cuts in, and the room goes quiet as Mike strolls in. He fills the space like a dark cloud, making the air heavy as we freeze. I avoid his gaze, focusing on the fresh, pulsating scar on his wrist.

Rondo and Sosa follow, adding to the tension. With Mike, Dimes, Rondo, and Sosa here, it feels like we're in a trap, and I'm caught.

This is my fault.

"JD, Kitty," Mike commands. "Keep watch. No surprises."

"What's your game here?" Missy's voice is sharp, but there's fear in her eyes. She shifts, glancing at the door as Kitty and JD step out. "And how'd you find us?"