May 16th 2024: From good to bad

I have gotten my fourth hour out of 40 daytime hours of practice driving today. I also got to hang out with my friends. Work was a little hectic. And my mom and brother pissed me off by thinking they know best when it comes to learning how to drive.

Driving Hours:

It started out as usual when it came to driving. My dad and I got ready to go behind the wheel. We had to go an hour early than usual today because I was getting together with my friends at Noon. I'm still nervous when it comes to driving and once in a while I get the jitters but not as bad as before. So far we're just getting the basics covered for now since I barely know how to drive even. Today we somewhat covered how to park, reverse carefully and turn with the turn. That last one needs more work than anything of course.

So far we've covered a lot starting out with empty parking lots (which is the easiest place to start btw). Learning how to turn, stay in my lane, when and when not to break, using turning lanes, hand over hand (while keeping my hands on top of the wheel at all times). These were all habits I knew I'd have to build which as we all know can take a while. But the more you do it the better it gets. It's like riding a bike but a little more dangerous but at least you'll get the hang of it.

But we weren't just covering the basics we were also helping me not feel AS nervous as I did before. But even when driving on parking lots did I find how much of a workout on my ankle it gives me when I have adrenaline going on in there. Leaves my leg wobbly every time. I knew it was me getting a little scared and also me getting my driving legs. I already got my work legs so it made sense.

An interesting and critical thing I noticed so far also was when it came to going up and down small slopes. Going upwards creates a lot of drag so I have to use the gas as I go. Going downwards pushes the vehicle and makes it go faster so I have to slow down a little when I need to.

I'm still figuring out how to get into the correct lane which I feel will be a hassle but I'll eventually manage it.

But today I was learning what can be slightly difficult for some beginners but not overly challenging. As I mentioned above I was learning to turn with the turn. Ooooh boy that was something I'm barely getting the hang of and most of the time I kept forgetting to push on the gas so it can straighten it out. A lot of the other times I'm trying to keep the vehicle from wobbling over to the incorrect lane even if it was just a suburban street. A little OCD at play.
I am also now learning how to park and then back out of a spot which is not too difficult but still I needed to build muscle memory on. Sounds easy? Well it depends on where you are or what's on the parking lot. But I have to crank the wheel a lot and then when I put it into drive I have to make sure it's straightened out which gets a little tough at times. But I'm still learning so no pressure.
And then there's parking which is a little easier than anything but I still have to make sure I'm not accidentally over the lines I'm forbidden to park across. I did attempt parking once before learning this and I missed it a little bit not that it's an issue but clearly I'm not ready for my own driveway yet.

My dad says he's also going to help keep me on my toes so I can always be alert and learn not to panic when certain outcomes happen. That being said I do ask anyone to please not do anything to scare me even if it's intentional. I am very easy to startle and if I get startled something pretty bad can happen I fear. Keeping me alert is one thing but accidentally causing me to crash by scaring me is another thing entirely. The last thing I want is to hurt other people or myself.

In other words: so far the driving skills are slowly developing and we have exactly 36 more day hours to go and the remaining 10 night hours. Anyone who reads this wish me luck on getting my license.

Hanging Out With Friends:

My friends are the best and I have a full group of them. Most of them are outside of my job and 3 of them at least are friends I've made at work. I'm not going to say their names for right now because I don't want to do that without their consent. It just feels invasive and I don't want to make my friends feel like their names are being shown in public.