♚ Chapter XI ♛

Concealing one's talent and skill requires a high level of talent and skill.

Unless you have none.

If so, acquire some...

"What an unexpected coincidence for me to encounter you of all places."

"Hehehe, almost a bit too coincidental, if you ask me."

"Fufufu, what are you trying to say, Takumi-kun?"

"Did you plan this, Arisu-san?" I asked the smug loli standing in front of me.

"What made you come to that conclusion?" She asked.

"Hehehe, stop trying to act clueless. Just admit it already."

"Well, perhaps. Originally, I came to the library to practice some new chess openings. Then I spotted you."

"I see, still the chess fanatic, huh? What was the nickname I used to call you... Oh, Ms. Checkmate, now I remember."

"I used to get upset whenever you called me by that nickname. Nevertheless, hearing you say it once more has brought back some fond memories we had together."

"I'm glad I left an everlasting imprint in your heart," I said facetiously.

"Fufufu, I noticed you were talking with someone earlier. Was he a friend?" She asked.

'She must mean Ayanokoji.'

"A friend, huh? How courageous of you to assume that. Or is that what we call them now?" I said with a teasing grin.

It took Sakayanagi a few seconds, but she finally understood the meaning behind my words.

"Fufufu, you haven't changed much, have you, Takumi-kun."

"Hehehe, and you haven't changed much either. Well, I have noticed one key difference in you." I said, getting up from the chair I was sitting on.

"And what's that?"

"You're a lot prettier since I last saw you," I said, smiling genuinely at her.

"Fufufu, you were always quite the charmer, Takumi-kun."

"Aw, you spoil me, Arisu-san. Anyway, all jokes aside, it's nice to see you again, my dear friend."

"Indeed. It's a pleasure to finally be reunited with you after all these years, Takumi-kun."

It has been four or five years since I last saw Sakayanagi Arisu, my childhood friend. However, where I grew up, considering anyone as a friend would get you in trouble. But thanks to a bit of help and a whole lot of luck, I was able to meet Arisu.

She was the light to my darkness, someone I looked forward to seeing whenever given the opportunity, someone who I could be open to and not feel judged, someone who I considered to be my one and only friend.

 "Shall we continue this delightful reunion, Takumi-kun, by engaging in a game of chess?" She suggested.

"Chess, huh?"

Oh, yeah, whenever I would see her, she would always try to compete against me in chess. I swear, she's addicted to that game.

"You sure you want to play chess with me, Arisu-san? You know I'm not good at it. I mean, you're far more superior when it comes to chess than me." I said with a smirk.