Chapter VI: The Captivity of Vulnerability

She had stared at Cecilia asleep in her arms and realized that she was the luckiest mother alive with her baby on her shoulder. In the early morning, she went to a café near Linda's house, the homeowner that her mother had been renting from for nine years. Colette had an urge to go to a cafe, nervously assuming that Raphael may appear there. No one was there.

Her daughter was sleeping next to her grandmother as she left the home.

Colette felt the cold within her bones. She wanted to shake her body like ice. Delirium was always dragging her body.

She went to take a shower. She took off her clothes and looked in the mirror with disgust. Her mother was crying as she yelled at her. She mantled it as if she were used, taking a shower was difficult because she hated her being. Something was off. Her sparkle was gone. 

Time was revealing Raphael's true colors through the night, while the morning revealed one's fate.

She continued writing poetry at the cafe seated by a glass window for some odd reason expecting Raphael to sit across from her, a familiarity that was anguished.

Be independent Colette. He was drugging you.

In her notebook with the cliche quote "Livin' the Dream" written across it, she continued writing poetry in a new environment:

Down by the alleys

And the poppies

You tore out the pain

Thinking that it was Blane

Seduction crept in like a beast

Disguised as a feast for the poor

When the poor led me to your war

She stared at it and shredded the paper, thinking what a terrible poet she was.

A few months ago, Raphael and Colette were discussing baby names, now they were worlds apart.

In the corner of her eye, near the window, she saw a man sitting there. She did not catch him staring at her, but he stared indefinitely at her when she was writing. Colette was naive - a lesson that had to be learned.

When she turned to look at him, her stomach turned. Something was wrong.

How do I know who is Raphael? He could be wearing a mask or even time-traveling to visit me. I don't know. God, I am just crazy. I am too obsessed with myself. I need to stop.

The man got up and left, shaking his head. He wore a green T-shirt with a cardigan. His light brown hair shined under the sun. She could not tell the color of his eyes.

An old man startled her at the cafe. "It's in the eyes, chica." He stated, noticing her staring at the gentleman.

When Colette walked home, she saw a new red Mercedes parked on the sideway of the road. She entered the house. In front of her, she gasped looking at her father holding her child.

"Colette! You didn't tell me that you had a grandchild!" He said smiling.

Is he insane? Last time, he was so rude. Now, that I have a kid he respects me? He is ridiculous, entering my home.

Colette analyzed the situation.

He's only here to use my mother again. I can sense it.

"Get off of her." She grabbed Cecilia away from her father. "And, leave."

"Colette, are you ok? Do you need medication?" Her mother stated. It was worse than a horror film. It was real life over and over. Nobody ever believed or trusted her due to her mental illness. She was lucky enough to have Raphael in the eyes of others due to her illness.