Chapter VII: The Rinsing of the Palms

A faulty day arrived where responsibilities sank relationships. Cecilia began noticing Colette's behavior. Colette had been imagining her and mishearing voices since the death of her child, wishing for things that could never happen, wanting it so deeply that she would rather live in her own imagination than society.

The thought of Cecilia led her down a path of spiraling despair. She did not know how to control herself.

"Cecilia, Cecilia. Where did you go? I want to carry you."

She talked to herself in the mirror like a mad woman, crying in her own eyes, alone with no idea of what love could ever be for no one understood what love could be. People made theories, and she only kept searching for that feeling of true love without joy with no fear with a struggle for the light.

Am I alone? Why did I do this to myself? Why? Did he drug me again? Is he here? Why do I keep hallucinating my child.

Colette had hallucinated the interactions of heaven and hell, creating a new image for her child and the demon Aunali, hoping that she was visible, fearing for the invisible.

Never facing her fears, she relied on Walter in her new desire. She had met Walter on the streets of Valencia. He lied to her constantly to make her feel better and to eventually sleep near her.

Cecilia had died due to heart failure. The stem cell experiment did not entirely process through. The immune system carried an extreme iron deficiency leading to the failure. Though these tragedies exist, it was not something that Colette could have believed. She was sent to the mental hospital. She woke up staring at the off beige written walls of people who were forced to be insane in society, leaving her to wonder if society was good or evil. It was both.

"Cecilia," she cried to herself. The hospital had placed cameras in her room, a new tactic of control.

"Colette." The nurse stated in the bleak room. "Colette." The worker repeated herself.

"Yes." Colette had red eyes that were filled with tears.

"Do you know why you are here?"
"It was my fault that my daughter had passed away."
"No."

The silence overwhelmed the room, making it bleaker and bleaker by the minute.

The nurse looked irritated. "You had amphetamine in your system."

"What?" Colette sniveled. "What do you mean?"

The nurse rolled her eyes.

"I am only here because my daughter had died." Colette waited for a response. "Aren't you going to help me?"

The moment I leave this hellhole, I am going abroad.

"You are here because of the amphetamine and ketamine in your system. I am sorry for the loss of your child, but you should not have children due to your actions." The nurse stated with brutal honesty.

"What do you mean? I never took that drug." Colette worried anxiously. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Colette, here is your medication." The nurse had told her in the hospital, standing in her room.

The hospital was located in Los Angeles. Colette had no recollection of time or people. She had forgotten everything that had happened while imagining the birth of her child and the scenarios in her head, introducing the child to her family, leaving the country. But, there was always a man in her life taking advantage of her.