Chapter 3

"Take me back home!" I woke up to a severe shock attacking every inch of my nerves. Gulping slightly, I let out a long exhale as my hands grasped a thin sheet covering half of my body. As I look over my surrounding, a deep breath escapes my mouth again. 'This is NOT a dream, this is FOR REAL.'

"Old lady Gu, I can't believe Qing Yi's fortunes. I always believe she is going to change your future with Old man Gu. Ah, what a luck..." My eyes rolled to the side, listening attentively to a voice that sounds a bit cracked. From my professionalism observation, this voice might belong to an aged woman.

"Ha ha, don't compliment so much, Old lady Jia. Pei Li could be the one that His Highness choose if she chooses not to travel so much, you know..." Okay, here's another voice. It seemed a bit lighter than the previous one, but accurately belongs to an old woman as well.

As I keep eavesdropping, suddenly the door creaked and my body reacts faster than the speed of light - pretending to still be asleep, or maybe unconscious?

"Yi'er... Yi'er. Wake up! You are supposed to pack your stuff, shouldn't you? Yi'er.. Yi'er.." My eyes closed tight, allowing no single atoms of light to be seen. Heartbeats went wild as my blood pumped faster than ever. This must be Qing Yi's dad. Oh no, no, no, I am not ready for this!

"Yi''er..." Another figure lurked by, and the tone is kind of similar to the old woman with much lighter voice I heard just now. My body freezes, I could barely breath to give any reaction. Oh man, I am done. I am screwed! "Wake up already, young lady. How can you be the future Empress if you keep acting like thi-"

"Ahhhhh!" Screams from the both oldies make my eyes rounded despite my attempt to keep acting dead. What else could go wrong now? Like a strike of lightning, I instantly jumped from the soft mattress and stand sturdily in front of the terrorised figures - inhaling deeply.

"Okay, okay. Don't scream, Madam and Sire. Please listen to my explanation first. Before you jump into any summarisation, please don't conclude I am a demon, get it?" Mouthing each word like a fool due to extreme nervousness, I placed a reassuring touch against both of the aging frames' shoulders.

"So, here's what happened..."

Now, ya' have to listen carefully. The actual stuff was like this...

Flashback

"Zhao, I think she blacked out."

When I woke up from the accidental faint of shock, I was no longer in the woods. Instead, itchy piles of grass bucked up against my back made me immediately sat down in a 'half-comma' state. Processing all things that happened earlier, I almost thought I am turning mad.

"Sister, are you feeling any better?" The girl quirked next to me whilst offering a small cup of tea. I could feel my throat getting sore so I decided to drink it with a single gulp. The pair had an intense eye contact.

"What? Don't look at me like that. I'm thirsty, you know." Without their assist, I poured more of the warm tea into the small cup and eventually the teapot turned empty. As silence continued, suddenly the guy in his white robe spoke.

"Miss, where are you from? Are you from the next village?" His voice was soft and somewhat firm. The girl that sat next to him scanned my whole figure - which I did not really care.

"What ya' talkin' about, ya' stupid? I am from NYC, 'kay?" That was what I imagined to answer. But I did not, anyway. Not when in this kind of outfit, they might think I am a girl thrown from a dungeon. No, no, my pride could NOT be hurt in that way. Nuh-uh.

"Uh, y- yeah! Next village, right." The bitter taste in mouth gradually mixed in with the 'sincere' smile formed on my lips. The both person in front of me shared another glance against each other.