Chapter 8

I can feel your rapid heartbeat too.

Jeez, the words linger in my mind longer than they supposed to! Each of his lexis said, all floating invisibly in my mind.

He was too charming, darn it! When I learnt he could read someone's mind by looking onto their eyes, I blew out a huge sigh of relief. Luckily, when I was cursing his snake ass in my brain, I was not eyeing him.

Otherwise I might have been in the execution room now.

Rule 1, do not ever look in his eyes.

I am still embodied here, between his both long arms. His face is inches far, but I swear I could taste the warmness of his slow breath against my skin. Feeling light-headed, I jolted and spoke with pure hesitation.

"H- How long are we going to stay in this position? My back hurts."

Yu Zheng's reaction? He did not fret. Did not move a single centimeters. Instead, he even leaned closer - closing the gap between our nose.

Just kiss me already, ya' snake!

Closing my eyes tight, I could feel Yu Zheng crawled his left hand to brush my cheek in a circular motion. I opened my eyes. His pupils that was red before, turned back to its usual colour. Dark brown.

What was the emotion he showed me, I could not explain it. It got that warm, fuzzy type of of gaze - but his lips is sealed tightly forming a straight line, expressionless.

I did not know what got into me, but I suddenly smiled at him! Showing all my damned teeth!

"Hee." Bashed with my own audacity, I inhaled deeply. Inwardly cursing my perverted ass. Oh man, how long am I going to embarrass myself?

It was as if he noticed my uncertainty of trying to speak, Yu Zheng left me shivering when he rummaged the skin of my ears to crimson red by whispering "speak" so... hot-ly.

His lips was so close to my ear!

"No, it's just... Really. My spine is literally aching. Can we stop this staring contest?" I scratched the back of my head, pulsating some time to reduce the heaviness hung in the air. His face was still as impassive as ever. Neither did my words or my smile made him change his damned edgy expression.

"Tell me, what's your motive of coming here?" There he goes again! That husky, deep voice calling me ever so smoothly with his eyes wandering around to capture my point of view. I swear, I could not breath now. I have never been in a physical situation like this with a guy, okay? Do not put the blame on me that I could not stay calm.

"I told you, I'm a lost merchant! I- I married you because - well. Err, because you're so superior. And, and Qing Yi's not ready for the marriage too." A flicker of silence caused the already existing tension between us rised, and I was too ill to realise his electrifying gaze placed against my collarbone.

"You're not a human. Tell me, who sent you here?" Calm and collected, he spoke to me with an extremely firm tone. I tried to answer but nothing come out. Ugh, you damned Qing Yi and those Gu oldies! You guys made me bite the bullet!

"Listen, I am indeed a human! What kind of demon-like features can you see imprinted on me, anyways? I am so saint looking you could never---" I tried to look away from his eyes, afraid. Yet, things I am telling him is the actual truth, after all!

Before I could finish my well-arranged sentence, Yu Zheng cut in.

"Your eyes."

My eyes... Ah, man! So this is what he had been so suspicious over me!