Chapter 50

Content warning: misogyny/discrimination

*****

God, Noah knows me too well. S-sorry, I— I just meant— It's not just me you're protecting by staying alive. Taking care of yourself protects the entire pack. And even more than that... I need you to be okay. I can't do this alone.

Aliya, tell me what's wrong. Something's wrong.

Nothing's wrong. I'll tell you what I'm thinking about after we deal with Mason, but just listen to me that I need you to stay safe, okay? I can't do this without you.

Noah's anxiety heightens as he closes in on Mason, and I have to do my best not to feel guilty for being as honest as I can.

But Noah is filled with an intense resolve, steeling my heart with him.

Everything's going to be okay, my love. I'll hold you soon, okay? He mindlinks.

Okay. But don't sacrifice yourself. You're irreplaceable, Noah.

His ears flick in discomfort at my words.

That doesn't stop him from crashing into his classic skidding halt, soaking Mason with mud.

Mason growls. Ugh, are you fucking kidding me?

Noah snarls louder than I've ever heard him, taking a swipe at Mason, and Mason slinks back into the cover of the trees.

Shit! I just want to talk, asshole!

Noah somehow gets even bigger, making Yasmine and Kira look like pups. You've lost your talking privileges.

Mason shakes the mud from his coat. Clearly. Which is why I'm declaring a pack split. I'm leaving Greenfield, and taking your strongest Alphas with me.

Noah's ears perk up in surprise.

But before I can reel at Mason's declaration, Noah's sarcastic tail wag gives me goosebumps. Noah's nonchalance has the power to devastate anyone, but especially someone like Mason. I'm nervous it could throw Mason over the edge.

Yet Noah flicks his ear to the side, acting like he can't process what he just heard. Uh-huh. My strongest Alphas. Sure.

As other Alphas show themselves behind Mason, my instincts kick back in with a whimper.

Lilian squeezes me as tightly as she can, wave after wave of her calming scent burning my eyes. "Shh, sweetheart. I've got you."

There's such a sharp fear at the base of her scent, no matter how much she's suppressing it for me. It's scaring me more.

But Noah looks completely unphased. Not only looks, but feels unphased. Actually, he's calmer than he was when he arrived, as promised.

But we're horrifically outnumbered. Why isn't anyone else disturbed by this?

Noah's confidence relaxes everyone. My wolf is the opposite, hating me for revealing myself to Mason.

She growls, but I growl back. We're protecting our mate, and that's final. If we don't protect him, our potential baby will die with us.

Noah sits on his haunches, unthreatened but irritated. Mason takes it to heart, bristling until my teeth chatter.

Is this a fucking joke to you?! Some Alpha you are!

No, it's just hilarious that you think my strongest Alpha is behind you. You've met my strongest Alpha, but you'll never admit it.

I glance around us, searching for this vital Alpha to be on our side. But who is he talking about? I don't think I've met Noah's strongest Alpha either.