🦕ྀི (XVIII)

Chapter Eighteen

[Y/N POV]

The world turns back into focus and the first thing I notice is Yasmina stomping out of the van in anger.

"Are you okay?" Ben asks me in a shaky voice and I try for a nod.

"Just... my leg." I whimper, touching the injured part gingerly

Kenji notices, and he and Ben have a silent agreement. They both help me to crawl to a boulder and prop my torso upwards against it.

"Thanks." I weakly say, and Ben gives me a small smile.

Kenji sits down next to me, and leans on the boulder too. He closes his eyes wearily, and I nudge him gently to focus on the problem. With a nod of his head, he opens his eyes, and the three of us watch the scene unfold.

"Yasmina! Wait! Yaz!" Sammy tries to run after her friend, but she pushes her away.

"We're not okay! We're in the middle of the jungle with a monster dinosaur out there, and you..." Yaz growls with a deep glare. "You..."

"Destroyed our only way to get help and lied about it! I told you guys!" Brooklyn says in a superior tone.

"So you did take Brooklyn's phone? Why? What were you doing?" Darius fumes, and it's one of the angriest I've seen him.

"Probably trying to erase my video of her taking those skin samples from the Sinoceratops." Brooklyn says, her hands on her hips.

Sammy whimpers and sighs, and I can't help but feel a little sorry for her.

"And you knew about the Indominus Rex because you were snooping around Dr. Wu's office when I ran into you. I knew it!" Brooklyn continues, pointing her phone at Sammy's neck.

"I didn't mean to destroy the phone. I fell on it when the zip line came down, and--"

"But you did steal it?" Ben says in a hopeless tone. "You had it that whole time and didn't tell us?"

"Hold up." Darius raises his hand, pausing. "What were you doing in Dr. Wu's office, Brooklyn?"

"That's a good question." I add.

"I... It doesn't matter." She replies.
"I didn't break our only way to call for help and lie about it! This is not my fault! This is her fault! She--"

"I'm here to spy!" Sammy bursts out.

We all pause, stunned.

"For a company called Mantah Corp," she continues, staring at her feet.

"Mantah Corp?"

"They're a company against Masrani." I explain. "They tried to make dinosaurs too, but Wu beat them to it."

"You doomed us all for some lousy company?" Ben yells.

"Our ranch was in trouble, so my folks had to borrow a lot of money from some shady people. We didn't know they were fronting for Mantah Corp. They said we'd lose everything unless I spied for them. Use the behind-the -scenes access I'd get to gather info from Wu's lab, and DNA from dinos and whatever else they needed. But then Brooklyn caught on, and I got scared, and then everything went wrong!" She rambles in a wavering tone. "This is the last thing I wanted to happen."

"Oh." Yaz scoffs darkly, seething with scorn. "To be next to a broken van on Killer Dinosaur Island? Me too! What are the odds?"

"Yaz, I--"

"Was it all a lie? Wanting to be friends? Pretending you cared about me? You just needed someone to hide what you were doing. Tell me I'm wrong."

But Sammy stays quiet, appearing to not have anything to object without it being a lie. Instead, quiet sobs ensure from her mouth.

"I'm such an idiot." Yasmina stalks off, but not before Sammy grabs her arm.

"You are wrong! I just didn't know how to say it, how to explain it to you. Just because I spied, doesn't change who I am!" she says, but Yaz rips her hand off.

"Don't touch me! Go away, Sammy."

The girl breaks down and runs a few meters away, crying softly.

We all think that Yasmina's outburst was too harsh, even Brooklyn, but then nobody has the energy to say anything; everyone is too somber to talk.

I look over at Kenji who hasn't said a thing since we were in the van, and his face looks like it's ready to collapse from grimness and hopelessness.

Bumpy groans at me, and I reach over to hug her tightly.

"Look, I know the situation we're in is suboptimal--" Ben tries.

"It's trash. Just say it's trash, Ben." Brooklyn shakes her head.

"Yes, but despite the obvious trashitude... we... we need to..."

Bumpy interrupts him by frantically nudging the both of us with loud groans.

"What is it, girl?" I softly ask her.

"Bumpy, what are you...?" Ben trails off as we hear a rumbling noise.

Then the Indominus crashes onto the clearing and we all leap out of the way and behind the van.

"This is trash! This is trash!" Ben yelps as he pulls me aside. My leg drags on the soil, and it really hurts.

But strangely, the Indominus just runs past us. We all frown in confusion.

"What the heck?" Darius says as a helicopter flies through, shooting at the Indominus.

"Masrani's helicopter! That's his call sign on the tail!" Kenji says, pointing at the rear of the chopper.

"They're shooting at the Indominus!" Darius says, and we all run after it, me struggling from the rear of the pack.

The Indominus roars in pain, and they disappear behind some trees, heading to the spot where there is a huge glass dome.

"Yeah! Kick its butt, Masrani! Oh, we're saved! Yeah, baby!" Kenji whoops, celebrating too soon. "Ah! I told you they've got it totally under--"

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ˳༄꠶ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯