Chapter Seven

It was hard for Rin to concentrate on any particular thought, especially when he was riding through a forest like this. The past two days alone were more memorable than the last ten years of his life. I'll need to develop my power if I want it to stay that way. His gaze landed on Magnus. How did he have so many different abilities to use? It looked as though he was almost able to fly when battling those thieves, and he even lit a couple of them on fire. Could everyone's abilities be linked to the animal their spirit takes the form of? Avelyn could run very fast and climb trees that were impossible for everyone else. Was that by the help of her spirit as well?

They eventually passed the patch of glowing trees, a dark and eerie forest taking it's place. It wasn't long before Rin's eyes began to ache.

His perception of time started to blur as they passed one tree after another. He would have fallen asleep on the spot if the saddle was any more comfortable. Only the occasional strange noise from the depths of the forest would jolt him back to alertness.

It must have been at least two hours before Rin could make out buildings just beyond the canopy. The two of them immediately picked up the pace.

Once they made it to the town's stable, Rin wasn't certain he would be able to stand on his own legs once he got off the saddle. He couldn't even make out much of the town while it was so dark out. The village was thrown up in the middle of the forest, nothing but countless trees surrounding the place like an army.

The stable itself was fairly small. Magnus got off his horse, and tied it to the fence post. "It's alright if they're not inside for the night. I'll have a word with the owner come morning."

"Alright." Rin climbed off his horse, his legs barely able to support his weight as he hit the ground. "Is there an inn in this town?"

"If I remember correctly. It's not a very big village, but there should be something just down the street." Magnus packed whatever he could in a backpack. It would be smart to leave at little as possible for any potential thieves to run away with. They both wandered into town once the horses were taken care of.

Almost every building was made of wood and stone, the same glowing bulbs they came across earlier weaved together to form ropes of light hanging throughout the city. "This city isn't quite as prosperous as most others. Aside from wood, they don't have many other valuables worth exporting."

"Still," Rin once again forgot about his fatigue. "This place looks incredible."

They traveled to the other side of town before finding a place that looked promising. It was larger than most other buildings, the entrance was just below a large 'welcome' sign. "Candles are lit." Magnus said. "Let's give it a shot."

The entrance led to a small lobby, with a thin man half asleep behind a wooden desk. Dust covered the floor, a couple footprints leading this way and that to various doors stretched along the hallways. The walls were made of planks, none of which seemed to be sanded free of splinters.

"Even'n." The man behind the counter muttered. "Need a room?"

"Two." Magnus pulled out a pouch of coins. Within a moment, Rin was headed down to his own room for the night.

"Don't forget: we'll need to be out of here by ten." Rin nodded, waving goodnight as he found his room number. He eased open the door, which felt as though it would snap in two if he put any more weight into it. The room itself was barely bigger than his own at home-a window at the far side, paired with drawers and a bed, with just enough room to walk in between.

Without a moment's hesitation, Rin plopped onto the bed, his eyes drifting closed a second later.

Light streamed through the window. Rin rubbed his eyes, sitting up to the sounds of birds chirping and rustling leaves. He yawned as he fished through his bag for a new set of clothes, throwing them on before heading back out into the hallway.