Chapter Thirteen

"How did you say you got struck by an arrow?" The nurse undid the tight bandages around Rin's stomach as he let out a wince.

"Fighting pirates."

The woman just rolled her eyes. "Whatever you really were doing, be more careful next time." She said as she inspected the wound. "This could have been bad, but your injury isn't too deep." She stood, taking off a cloth mask covering her nose. "You'll be sore for a couple hours. If any pain persists, let me know." Light burst from the nurse, her labia forming into the shape of a star, oddly enough. She reached down, her fingers hovering just above the injury.

Labia drifted from her hand and into the wound. It felt cold, but not for long once the area started growing numb. Rin glanced down to see the skin sealed over, only dry blood remaining as evidence he was ever injured to begin with. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it. Just try not to let it happen again, okay?" Rin nodded as he left the nurse's office, and walked back out into the streets.

The sun was well on it's way down to the horizon, bathing the town in a beautiful orange glow. If the monarch keeps her promise, Rin will be seeing a lot more of this place. Magnus was off to run some more errands, leaving Rin at the hospital just a couple blocks away from the school itself. It was hard to imagine how such a structure could even be built-no doubt an army of mages must have played a critical role in it's development.

Most passing by gave him curious looks-it wasn't exactly common to see someone in full armor out here, even if it was in part meant for traveling as well. His heartbeat picked up as he rolled the edges of the sleeve away. While a little fainter, his veins were still a sickening black. Taking them off now would at best give him a lot of unwanted attention. I just have to wait until I'm in school, then everyone can know. But what will they think of his goal to eradicate all the akuma, even when he's so far behind everyone else in terms of skill?

Rin was untying his horse from the post as he noticed Magnus riding back. He didn't even need to ask-the answer already evident by Magnus' grin. "Word of our success finally reached the monarch." He held up an open envelope. "She didn't have much of a choice."

Relief flooded through Rin. He made it in, somehow. He may not even deserve the spot, he probably never will. But this gave the nation their best shot at dismantling the akuma. "To Karlysia, then?"

"That's right. Think you're up to it?"

Rin gave a slow nod. We made it this far. No turning back now.

The two rode on to the school, Rin's heartbeat quickening every second of the trip. The buildings seemed to change too as they rode on. Individual houses grew less and less common, replaced by inns and stores of every kind. Before too long, they were just before the school gates.

Two ornate statues stood at guard just beside the main gate itself. The iron bars surrounding the place made it look more like a prison than an institution. A small station rested just beyond the left statue, where a man peeked out from behind a small window. "Evening. Is there something I may help you two with?"

"Yes." Magnus got off his horse. "I'd like to admit my new student here, Rin Shannon."

The let out a chuckle as Magnus handed him the letter. "Why, in the middle of the school year, I-" He paused, readjusting his glasses. "...I'll send word. Please, see yourself inside." He pulled a lever, then hurried around to open the gates for them. Given how heavy they looked, he had about as much success as Rin expected. In the end it took all three of them to push their way inside.

"Phew. Forgive me, but I'm accustomed to no small amount of soldiers helping themselves to moving such a gate. Call me Morino." He puffed out his chest. "I'm the one responsible for keeping everything this place safe. The school entrance is in walking distance from here; I can tend to your horses, if you'd like."