Prologue

The town was quiet.

It wasn't often Magnus' platoon would venture this far to the edge of the empire, especially just off a reported sighting. Almost every building has been mutilated in one way or another-and not by human hands.

Magnus glanced at Ian. "You knew this one, right?"

He grimaced as his gaze fell to the ground. "Callahan has been growing distant for some time. I kept ignoring the signs, until..."

"There was nothing you could do to help him." Magnus climbed over one of the collapsed walls. "Remember: he's gone now. Don't hesitate to fight back if he attacks."

Ian didn't respond; Magnus didn't pressure him for one. It was never easy when one of their own turned to aibal's corruption.

Minutes passed as the seven soldiers inched their way to the center of the town. This once flourishing village took blow after blow by invading forces before it was abandoned entirely. One of the few lost territories we'll be taking back as our own. Magnus grinned at the thought. Uncoordinated acts of terrorism will only go so far for those corrupted.

"I'd reconsider Ranette's proposal, if I were you." Ian mentioned as clouds snuffed out the sunlight. The young soldier always would ramble on to take his mind off the pressure. "You two really seem to like each other."

"One marriage is enough for me." Magnus made a commitment to his late wife, even if it means waiting until death to be reunited. He sighed. "Though I certainly would have liked to raise a son with abilities similar to mine. I-"

A flicker of darkness from behind the tree line. And not a shadow.

"Eyes up!" The other soldiers tensed as they scanned the surroundings. Magnus slowed to a stop as he reached for the longsword at his waist. A bad habit to rely on steel when hunting demons, but it did give him comfort.

Dark silhouettes weaved this way and that from behind the buildings. They're surrounding us. A tactic that should be impossible for akuma-the mindless beasts aibal creates. They almost entirely lacked any discernible features due to the black magic constantly enveloping the things in a haze. Their forms were vaguely similar to dogs, only a little larger than most. Two of them dashed out into the main street, not even fifty feet away. Just behind the two was a hauntingly familiar figure-only gray skin covered his entire body, it's bloodshot eyes locked on to the group. Callahan, or at least the husk of his former self, before he was lost to the dark side of magic.

Strings of light burst from Magnus' body, falling into place to form a long dragon. Callahan did the same, only his crimson strings were bent out of shape from what they once portrayed. "Take care of the akuma in the area." Magnus told the group. "I'm going after him."