Chapter Twelve

Magnus sat up against the ship's mast, finally relenting to Brutus' insistence to take another gulp of water. Just about every bandit he could see seemed to be showing some sign of life, even if it was just labored breathing.

Rin soon walked out from behind the ship, treading through the water before climbing aboard the raft. "The platoon will undoubtedly see the smoke and come to investigate." Magnus said. "For now, we need to retreat before we find any more company. Brutus, do you think you can squeeze this fine vessel around that ship without catching fire?"

"Will do."

Magnus let out a shaking breath, leaning back on the mast. "I pushed myself too far."

Brutus grunted. "That there looked like a victory, through and through."

"Still, I used far too much labia in one go." He shook his head. "Trying to injure every one of them, only to throw them off board while shielding myself from all the others' attacks. That was reckless."

Brutus glanced at Rin. "Weren't you hurt by something back there?"

Rin looked down at his stomach, only just seeming to notice the blood making a small stain around his injury. "An arrow-" He grimaced. "I'm starting to feel it, too."

Magnus leaned in to inspect his wound. "Sorry about that. I take it you haven't figured out how to heal yourself yet."

Rin shook his head. "Can you teach me now?"

"I'm afraid not. No one can just learn labia's techniques by just having it described to them. This ability especially will take practice, and we can only heal ourselves." The two did their best to patch Rin up with some bandages Brutus had tucked away. Being a puncture wound, there thankfully wasn't much blood. "How does that feel?"

"Better." Rin ran his fingers across the bandage. "Karlysia is a physically demanding school, right? Will this be an issue for it?"

"Hopefully not. You know how every mage's abilities depend on their spirit? It's definitely rare, but a few do have an ability to heal those other than themselves. Kluna's bound to have someone capable of helping you."

Rin sat against some crates as his eyes widened. "Wait, what about our horses?"

"I'll be getting them when we loop back around. From there, we'll just sail back up to kluna."

"But you almost passed out just a couple minutes ago."

Magnus clenched his fists, that alone sending strain through his forearms. It's been years since he was so shot from labia. "I should be fine as long as I don't use magic for a while. I should probably have a word with the soldiers there, anyway."

They drifted up next to the town, making sure it was free of danger before letting Magnus off. Soldiers were spread out all over the place, either conversing with the townspeople or tending to injuries. A handful of pitch-black corpses were scattered around the town as well, creatures Magnus would recognize anywhere.

He stumbled up the bank and back into the village. There shouldn't have been so many akuma around, either; given they hadn't spotted a single one on their way to the bandit hideout. He waved to who must have been the platoon leader, who was in the middle of taking stock of their remaining supplies. "Evening."

He nodded in response. "You're a mage?"

"And former soldier. Magnus Alburn." He motioned to the faint trail of smoke in the distance. "That was thanks to a couple friends and I. Unofficial orders to scout out a potential bandit outpost." He grimaced. "It took a bad turn, but their base is out of commission."