Chapter Nineteen

"Alright!" Ms. Pinter clasped her hands together. "I was worried you'd forget all about our meetings, just like so many other students." She shook her head. "It's so nice I won't have to snatch another student away from their dinner for more practice."

It felt strange to be standing on the stone platform usually meant for just the instructor. Aside from Ms. Pinter, I'm the only one here, too-and I doubt it's good to stand out like this. It must not be very common for people to be sent here for more intensive training. "Now, how familiar are you with what we've practiced yesterday?"

"Not at all. I've never had the chance to learn about healing."

"Figured. You don't seem to be too skilled in using your spirit to defend yourself, either. No matter. I'll have you caught up on both, hopefully by the end of the week. Let's begin while we have time."

The two spent the next hour going over more basic techniques of everything they practiced yesterday. It wasn't too hard to grasp the concept of defense-it takes the exact same mindset as attacking with labia. Learning to heal will definitely take some more time, but Rin's labia has already been turning a green tint when he tried summoning heren. "Well, this is certainly an improvement from yesterday. Another day or two with me, and you should be at a satisfactory level. I believe you have a couple more minutes before class officially starts. You are dismissed-I'm sure you'd like a break from this place, after all."

The rest of the day went by without anything particularly eventful. Rin was certainly better at both Ms. Pinter's and Mr. Mendez's classes-he might actually find a way to adapt into this new style of life. The hours might have went by a little faster if his mind wasn't always on the trip him and Aklan had planned at the end of the day. Soon enough, the two returned from cleaning the bathhouses of their hallway.

Aklan rubbed his hands together. "I'm telling you, cleaning bathrooms is the worst task you can be assigned for the day. I mean, it's faster, but I'd take sweeping floors over this any day."

"How many chores are there around the school?"

"Probably one or two dozen different types. If you're good enough, you might get something special-like dusting off some furniture or doing dishes. They're not particularly fun, but the change in scenery is nice." His eyes lit up, as though he only just remembered they were plotting to leave the school. "Ready for tonight?"

"I'm not sure if its a great idea..."

"Come on! You want to help Wilbur after all, right? This is a great start."

Rin glanced out at the dark sky. Everyone's given ample amount of time to sleep-another method to help replenish labia reserves. Neither of them should be too exhausted come morning, but the idea of seeing such a town at night isn't exactly comforting. "Is it even safe? What if we're caught?"

Aklan grimaced as he rubbed his head. "...Probably expulsion. But relax, I wouldn't have made a habit out of this if I didn't think it was a foolproof plan. Just don't get caught, and we're breaking out tonight!"

The two started off by changing into more casual clothing, and waited for what felt like an hour before Aklan beckoned Rin to follow as he eased open the door. Both were dead silent as they snuck to the stairwell, making their way down level by level. "I need you to really be on your guard for this next part." Rin could barely hear him. "The main floor is the most dangerous."

The hallway was clear, which felt like they were just being teased into exposing themselves. Rin's heart was pounding out of his chest as they passed by the statue of the seven pioneers, making their way deeper into the school. What would Magnus think of Rin if he were caught? He sacrificed so much of his time to help him along, only for him to throw it away for being an idiot. I won't let that happen.