𝙎𝙐𝙂𝘼𝙍 𝙊𝙉 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙎𝙄𝘿𝙀

✔︎ - 𝘼𝙥𝙧𝙞𝙡 4, 19682:38 𝙥𝙢

✔︎ - 𝘼𝙥𝙧𝙞𝙡 4, 1968
2:38 𝙥𝙢

"I'll pick up by.....how about next week?", asked martin.

"Daddy", said karla.

Martin laughed. "I'm just playing, tell them I said hello", said martin. Karla nodded and opened the car door.

"Aren't you forgetting something?", asked martin.

Karla climbed inside the car and pecked martin's cheek. "Alright now, go have fun, I'll pick you up by seven", said martin. "Promise?", asked karla.

"I promise", replied martin.

"Pinky promise", said karla sticking her small pinky finger out.

Martin sticked out his pinky finger and wrapped it around karla's. "Pinky promise", said martin. Karla got out of the car and ran towards the door. Martin drove off. Karla stood on her tippy toes and pressed on the doorbell.

Joseph opened the door and looked from side to side.

"Down here", said karla.

Joseph looked down and stepped aside.

Karla entered the house. Katherine stopped stirring and smiled. "Hey little karla, here to spend time with michael?", asked katherine.

Karla nodded.

"He's in that room", said katherine while pointing at the first door of the hallway. Karla ran towards the hallway and knocked on the door. "It's open", said michael. Karla entered.

Marlon stared at karla. "Hi boys", said karla.

"Hey karla", they all said in at the same time. Karla sat next to michael. "Michael has never washed that hand of his ever since he shook hands with your dad", said Jermaine.

"Lots of people cry when they meet daddy", said karla. "Do you have any pets?", asked marlon and sat very close to her. Karla side eyed marlon.

"No", replied karla and moved away from marlon.

- 6:05 𝙋𝙈

Joseph was in the living room watching the news.

"Martin luther king jr shot outside lorraine motel, a man named James earl ray shot martin from his window while martin was outside of his hotel room with a few other men", said the newsreporter.

"Oh dear....", said katherine.

Michael and karla giggled. They ran to the living room. Katherine quickly stood up. "Michael, get karla out of here, take her to your room", said katherine. "Why?", asked michael.

"Don't question your mother and do it!", exclaimed Joseph.

Michael took karla's hand.

"Come on karla", said michael and led her to his room.

Katherine sat down and covered her face with her hands. "What are we going to tell that poor thing? She's only nine", said katherine and sighed. She felt her eyes get watery.

- 6:59 𝙋𝙈

Karla walked past the living room. Joseph quickly turned off the tv. "Katherine", said Joseph in a soft tone. Katherine looked at karla and followed her.

"Where are you going sweetheart?", asked katherine.

Karla looked up at katherine and put her white gloves on.

"Waiting for daddy, he promised he will pick me up by seven", replied karla in a happy tone.

The telephone rang. Katherine entered the house and picked it up. She put it on her ear. "Hello?", asked katherine. Katherine nodded. "Karla dear, it's for you", said katherine.

Michael and the rest of his siblings came to the living room. Joseph silently watched. Katherine picked up Janet. Karla put the telephone on her ear. "Hi mommy, is daddy on his way?", asked karla. There was silence.

"What do you mean he's not coming? He promised me", said karla.

Joseph turned on the tv. The news was still on.

"Martin luther king jr died around 6:05 pm, shot by a white male called James earl ray", said the newsreporter. Karla looked at the tv screen.

"I'm so sorry dear", said katherine.

Karla started crying and dropped the telephone. She exited the house and kept running. "Karla!", exclaimed michael. He watched her run far away.