[ 4 - losing dogs ]

ANEMONE FELT A pair of arms wrap around her

ANEMONE FELT A pair of arms wrap around her. Hearing only a few, quiet words she could recognise Jovian. He was at the zoo together with Phoebe, his girlfriend.

"Let's go home." Jovian insisted once the medics took Arachne's body. He helped Anemone stood up trying to act strong, even though her legs felt sore.

Together with Jovian, she crawled to his car. Phoebe, who was already sitting in it, turned back to Anemone and spoke up, wiping off a few tears, "I'm so sorry, Ann."

Anemone swallowed, but dared to look up at her, "It'll be good. Won't it?"

The ride to Phoebe's house was quiet. Jovian decided to drop her off sooner than it was supposed to, but his girlfriend didn't even bother to argue. Although Phoebe never had siblings, she treated the Crane twins as her own sisters, so Arachne's death was a heavy burden for her too.

Inhaling a breath, both Anemone and Jovian entered their own apartment, unsure of their parents' reaction. As soon as they stepped in, Marilla and Junius approached them, tears gathering in the woman's eyes.

"Please tell me it's not true." She sobbed. "If it wasn't true, she'd stand beside us," Jovian mumbled.

"No!" Marilla let out a strangled cry, keeping her balance by pressing her hand to the wall. Junius breathed heavily, fists and jaw clenched.

"Dad?" Anemone spoke up quietly. Junius let out a yell, punching the wall with his fist. Anemone jumped in place and clung to Jovian, who slightly hid her behind his body figure.

Junius didn't stop.

He grabbed the nearest vase and threw it onto the wall with rage. Next was one of the portraits of their family, a glass... He didn't stop either crushing things or yelling.

Anemone's eyes widened in horror as she stared at her father, scared to move. God knew what he would do while being mad.

But she didn't stand still either. Jovian shielded her with his body, quickly walking towards his room. He locked the door behind him, closing his eyes as the shouts of their father mixed with the cries of their mother.

Anemone sat on her brother's bed, trying to calm her breathing. "Hey," said Jovian, sitting down next to her. "They'll calm down. Soon."

"Do you think they'd react the same if one of us died?" asked Anemone quietly. Jovian swallowed, "I-I don't know. Mom probably yes, but Dad..."

Anemone nodded slowly. Of course, he wouldn't. Although she kept telling herself he loved all of his kids since she was a child, Junius always favored Arachne and never hid with it.

"Are you hungry? I can sneak something from the kitchen," said Jovian after a short moment of silence. "Do you want me to throw up?" asked Anemone. "Sorry, that sounded mean."

Jovian let out a small chuckle, "Kinda. I'd say the same, though."

Although the world seemed to stand against Anemone Crane, she knew she had her brother. And having Jovian when the world seems to be shattered by a dagger was like a sweet treat for Anemone.