29. | Song

"Okay, this is the last one

"Okay, this is the last one." I call from inside my bathroom. It's a cute pink romper jumpsuit with amazing quality and a v-shaped neckline. I open my bathroom door. "What do you—"

I stop.

Every instinct is telling me to backtrack. To hide and never show my face again. Because Alex, sitting on my bed, has my old notebook in his hands.

Open.

"Where did you get that?" My voice is small.

"You used to write songs?" He looks up at me, seeming confused. Oh, god. He found it.

Storming up to him, I snatch the book out of his hands. "What, you're searching my room now?"

"No. I—" He stops himself. "I found it."

I scoff. "Yeah. You just happened to find something I hid. It was hidden for a reason."

"I'm sorry, Lindsey." He says. "Your song is good. How come you never brought it up?"

"Why does it matter? I'm not a singer, Alex, and you're not going to convince me to be one just because I wrote one song." I scowl.

"It does matter." I hear him stand up.

"No. What matters is that you invaded my privacy. That you read something I clearly didn't want read! If I wanted you to read it, I would've pulled it out and held it out to you," I make a gesture of holding a book in my hands. "Saying 'Here, Alex, go ahead and read about everything I could never tell anyone about'."

"I didn't mean to find it, Lindsey. Honestly!" He says.

"So you just happened to find it after I stashed it under my bed." I glare.

"Yes! I saw it, I grabbed it, I read it." He holds his arms out. "If I knew it would upset you so much, I never would have read it."

"If you find a notebook in a girl's room, you don't read it! You leave it alone! Not everyone wants their problems known by everyone."

"Who was I gonna tell?" He argues.

"Your sister, for one. Since you seem oh, so, close with her."

"She's my sister. We've always been close!"

"That doesn't mean I want her to know me! I don't trust her! I don't trust—" I cut myself off before I say anything more. Anything I can't take back.

"What? Say it." His eyes darken. "Can't trust me?" I don't answer. I trust him. I trust him more than he knows. "Not every man you meet is like your father! Not every man is going to hurt you!"

He really chose to go there?

"Answer me one thing." He holds up a single finger. "Has your dad ever hit you?"

"No!" I burst. "Are you insane?!" I stuff my face in my hands and groan. Then I remove my hands. "No. You know what. I'm done with this conversation, and I'm done with you." I snatch my clothes and storm into the bathroom, slamming the door shut.