42. | "Happy New Year."

I scan the room in search of my coworker, finding her standing by a table, sipping on a glass of champagne

I sneak up behind her, tapping her shoulder. She turns and immediately a grin lights up her face at the sight of me. "You're here!"

I laugh as her arms wrap around me, mine reciprocating.

"Of course, I am. I couldn't miss this." We pull away, smiling at each other. "Oh, I ran into your mom and Ben on the way in."

"They're here?" She looks surprised.

I nod. "Yeah. Ben wanted to come and support and your mom came to see you."

She glances over my shoulder, brows furrowing. "What's he doing?"

I turn to him, finding him at a table. Shoving more food in his mouth than he can chew. "Alex!" I yell, picking my dress up and storming to him. I slap his hands when he tries to shove more food in his mouth. "What the hell are you doing?"

He replies with something, but I don't understand it thanks to his mouth being full. I whack at him. "I know for a fact your mother taught you manners. Don't talk with your mouth full." I scold.

He's like a giant man-child.

He swallows his food, but it takes a few moments, my hands on my hips as I wait. When his mouth is finally free, he says, "I was hungry."

"You were shoveling more food in your mouth than you could eat." I state. He reaches for another, this time a cupcake. I slap his hands. "Stop."

"Come on. It's not killing anybody." I give him an annoyed look. He takes the cupcake and drags a finger through the icing, stuffing his finger in his mouth. "Mm. Delicious." He scoops another bit of icing onto his finger, holding it out to me. "Try it. You'll like it."

I lean back. "No, I don't want it."

"Just try it." He urges.

"No, Alex, I don't want to." I push away his hands.

"Try it. It's good!" He grins, pushing his finger toward me. I don't catch it in time and he manages to get it on my nose. My jaw drops, but as much as I want to be mad, I can't find it in me.

I burst out laughing and Alex joins me. He steps toward me, cleaning off my nose as we grin at each other. He cups my face, pressing a soft kiss to my lips.

"Hey, you two lovebirds." We separate, finding Lucas standing in a suit.

"Lucas?" We both ask confused. What is he doing here?

"What are you doing here?" I ask, my brows furrowed.

"What am I doing here? What are you doing here?" He counters.

I glance at Alex, growing more and more confused. "My job? This is my company's fundraiser."

"Oh, you meant this fundraiser?" Lucas's eyes widen. "I thought you meant a different one."