4

Daniel?

Hey Gabby. I missed you at dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning. Are you trying to avoid me?

She felt a twinge of guilt at that. She hadn't been trying to avoid her family, but she had. All because she was trying to avoid one person. She sighed. No, Dad said you wanted to meet with me.

Yeah. How about this afternoon around four? My office?

Okay, I'll be there.

Are you coming to lunch? Daniel asked her.

Probably. Probably not, but he didn't need to know that. She wished she knew if he was still here or not, but she had no way of knowing that. Her father might know, but that would mean telling him who her mate was and she really didn't want to do that.

She managed to avoid lunch too, much to Caleb's dismay. "Gabby, you can't hide up here forever."

"I know, I know," she grumbled. "I have to meet Daniel at 4pm."

"Are you going to go down for dinner," he asked her.

"Maybe?"

He shot her a glare. "At some point, I'm not enabling you anymore."

She cringed. "I know. I'm going to take care of it."

"I love you, Gabby and I hate to see you absolutely miserable over a guy, and yes I know he's your mate, and you think he's going to reject you, but you need to find out," Caleb told her. "I thought I was bad keeping your mom a secret as long as I did. You might be worse."

She bit her lip. "Its different though."

"I know it is, but you're still procrastinating," Caleb said.

She frowned at him, then sighed and nodded.

He left her room, and Gabby turned back to the book she was reading. She still had a bit to go before her meeting with her brother. Hopefully she didn't run into him.

A few hours later, she took the elevator down to the ground floor. She stood there for a moment before exiting the elevator, holding the door open and scenting the air. His scent filtered under her nose, catching her attention as she allowed herself to focus solely on it for a moment. He smelled so good.

She was half tempted to go knock on his door and demand that he reject her now, but then she'd never make it to her meeting with Daniel. She sighed and exited the elevator. She peeked down the hall, but he wasn't in sight, and she breathed a small sigh of relief at that. She hurried down and knocked on her brother's office door, wanting to get inside before she saw him.

"Come in, Gabby."

She opened the door and walked inside and sat down in front of Daniel's desk. "Hi."

Daniel smiled at her. "Hey. I'm glad you're back."

She wasn't, but she wouldn't tell him that. "Glad to be back."

A knock sounded at his door and he looked up. "Come in."

It was him. She looked up at Daniel. "You know what, I don't want to interrupt. I'll come back later."

"Gabby.."

"It's fine." She quickly stood as the door opened, and held her breath as she hurried past him, avoiding both looking at him and touching him.

Her wolf was on high alert as she moved past, wanting to see the man that was their mate, but Gabby kept her eyes lowered. She wasn't about to do this in front of her brother.