13

Now that we're all depressed, let's finish this so we can move on to something happier.

***

Gabby followed Axel into the dining room. She'd been here before with him, her last morning here before she'd left. Had that only been a few days ago? How quickly life could change.

"Do you think your family is hungry too?" Axel asked her.

"Let me link them. They're male werewolves. I think they're always hungry," she muttered with a smile. Where are you?

Eating in the kitchen. Where are you? Caleb linked back.

"They're eating in your kitchen," she said.

"What?" Axel looked a bit appalled.

"We might as well go in there too," Gabby told him.

Axel led her back to the kitchen. "Alphas, you could have eaten in the dining room."

Daniel looked up at him. "Why?"

"It's more formal," Axel said.

"Not necessary," Caleb replied.

Gabby snickered, causing both Caleb and Daniel to look at her, before they exchanged glances themselves, smiling at each other.

"Okay," Axel said, and sat down himself.

A she-wolf brought both Gabby and him a meal and he smiled at her. "Thanks."

"Alpha." She walked away.

The meal was fairly quiet as everyone ate, and once everyone was finished, Daniel finally spoke up.

"My sister needs to sleep, and then I'd like to speak with you," Daniel said.

"Daniel," Gabby said.

He looked at her. "Yeah Gabby?"

Don't give him the third degree.

Me?

She lifted an eyebrow at him, then turned to Axel. "Alpha, could you please show me to a room?"

"Of course, Princess."

They both stood and Axel led Gabby out of the kitchen. "You can stay in the same room you did a few days ago."

"Thank you. Will you take me?"

"I will," he agreed.

She slipped her hand in his and they headed up to the room. She stopped outside the door and she turned back to him. "I'm so sorry about this mess."

He nodded. "I don't totally understand it, but one day."

"One day I'll tell you all of it when it's not so fresh."

He nodded, as he looked at her quietly. "Get some rest." He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek.

Gabby closed the door behind and stepped into the room, breathing out slowly. What a day it had been. She really didn't know if she'd made the right decision or not. She hoped so, but what was done was done.

Her bag was already in the room, and she walked over to it and grabbed some clothes, then took a shower and crawled in bed. Her sleep that night was dreamless for once.

***

2 years later

"You've been gone a long time," Daniel said quietly, hugging Dominic. They were both standing outside down near the lake.

"Is she happy?" he asked.

"Yeah. She's mated," Daniel told him.

"To who?"

"Axel," Daniel told him. "He ended up being her second chance."

"So she left the pack?" Dominc asked incredulously, folding his arms over his chest.

"No. He gave up his pack for her," Daniel said with a smile.

"Then he's worthy of her," Dom said with a sigh. "And you have another Alpha in your pack."

Daniel shrugged. "Noelle's heir has been born."

"How much longer are you going to do this, old man?" Dom smiled at him.

Daniel laughed. "We'll see, but I'd prefer she focus on her pup for now."

They were both quiet for several long moments, staring out over the water.

"I thought about leaving, but I'm happier here than not," Dom admitted.

"This is your home," Daniel reminded him. "You're family, Dominic."

"Sorry I was gone so long."

"How are you?"

"I'm alright. Been a cat too long," he muttered.

"Well it's time you came back to the land of humans. You need some time, or you ready to get back in it?" Daniel asked him.

"You got anything in a big city? I need a woman," Dominic said.

"Have you had one in the last two years?"

"I haven't had one in three," he admitted.

Daniel looked at him in surprise. "I'm supposed to go to New York City in the morning. You can go in my place."

"Fill me in," Dominic said, meeting his gaze.

To be continued...