Chaper Eighteen

The day begins with the high pitched blaring of Maddie's alarm on her phone. It would have angered me if I wasn't already half awake anticipating today. Once we're up, we immediately get dressed feeling overly stimulated and excited for the first day. We knew this feeling of joy for going back to school would probably only last for the first week, so we decided to enjoy it while we could.

I grabbed from my drawers a cropped red tank top, black cargo pants, simple black Vans, and a white cover up just in case, before going into the bathroom to shower. The girls changed and went downstairs deciding not to shower since we didn't want to be late.

Ever since I'd been allowed to shower consciously everyday instead of being thrown into a tub unconsciously, it's become a vital part of my routine.

I quickly exit, drying myself, then complete all my other morning hygiene and get dressed. I debated makeup but knew it wasn't worth it since no one would really be paying attention to me. My hair is pulled into a high ponytail and I add on a necklace and a few rings to finish my outfit off. When I was satisfied with the look, I sprayed some perfume, grabbed my phone and book-bag, and hurried down the stairs.

I devour some cereal then pop a gum in and apply chap stick listening to the girls rave about going to a real school for the first time without joining the conversation.

Maria grabs my book bag filling it with the essentials, simple things that wouldn't weigh me down much on the first day. I got a brown paper bag and packed the lunch she prepared the night before, adding it to the rest of my stuff.

We hear a honk outside and I assumed it was Jayden.

"Come on ladies." They shove the rest of their breakfast down their throats and followed me outside.

Their outfits were very charming and I was proud of us for being collectively above average today with our looks. Maddie wore a white top with a light pink plaid skirt, white Converse, gold jewelry, and cute matching hair clips. Maya was dressed in an oversized graphic T-shirt, light wash rolled up jeans, and Nike Air-forces with a chain silver necklace being her only accessory.

We hurry into the car and I turn to see Kaylee running out of the house to catch a ride so she didn't have to walk.

Before starting to drive Jayden puts his phone in my lap and I stare up at him confused, "Check to see if we have any classes." I nod remembering that I still hadn't looked at my schedule.

I stare at my own phone perplexed at the number of advanced classes listed. I couldn't remember picking them or deciding I had enough work ethic to take them— and even if I did pick them, that was before I was kidnapped and kept from school for a month and then transferred to a less esteemed school.

"Holy shit."
"What's wrong?" All the passengers question me in unison. I hold my head in my hands closing my eyes trying to not get overwhelmed, "They gave me a shit ton of college level classes." Kaylee laughs obnoxiously at my pain while the rest empathized, understanding how bad that was.

"Maybe you can get a schedule change." Maddie offers optimistically, "You know they don't do schedule changes the first week, at least from what I've heard." Maya chimes in.

I pick up Jayden's phone and see we only had college level English together, a class I wasn't even sure I wanted to take anymore.

"We have English together." And I plop the phone back into his lap, my cheerful mood deteriorating.

From the corner of my eye I see him look over at me in sympathy before giving his full attention to the road.