The End

"JESSICA. Is everything packed?"

I nearly face-plant as I glide across the wood floor in my fuzzy socks to my pile of suitcases. Everything was in fact not packed, but there was no admitting that.

"Almost!" I shout back laughing at myself.

We were supposed to leave in an hour so I really shouldn't have waited till the last minute, but irresponsibility was not a new concept for me.

"Your friends are going be here soon. Hurry up."

I groan and stand up, running to my closet to get the last articles of necessary clothing I left behind. I passed by a hallway mirror on my way and caught a glimpse of an alarming image of myself, so I stopped in my tracks and backed up.

As I stood in front of the mirror slightly out of breath from all the running I was doing, it was impossible not to note how different I looked.

Images of me a few years ago flashed in my memory and I couldn't believe there was a point in time where I looked like that, I dealt with that, and I felt like that. It was scary to think I was a completely different person now, but I was. Though I liked to believe it was for the better.

For a moment I simply stare at myself and try hard not to criticize my reflection, it was an old bad habit I wanted to stop. Instead I appreciated my changes as I examined my hair that had grown long again and my face that wasn't as rounded. I was taller, a bit tanner, and I honestly looked more mature in my features, but I was still me. The biggest change was the new cozy sweater I was wearing with the name of my college in huge embroidered letters.

"Holy shit. I have to like... be an adult now." I whispered to myself still looking in the mirror.

Maya and I were both going to a university in New York. Maddie had already started at the pristine dance school she auditioned for months ago. Jayden and Ryan were attending a college known for sports on different scholarships. We were all growing up, and it was terrifying.

"JESSICA!"
"I'm going, I'm going."

I roll my eyes feeling slightly overwhelmed and resume packing knowing I only had a limited amount of time left. Maya and I were supposed to move into our dorm room today, we had requested to room together since that was the smartest and most obvious thing to do. Everyone was driving down and helping us move in, and I wanted it to be a happy day, but I was sure it would end in sobs.

This was the first step into the possible separation of everyone I know. I wouldn't be going to the same school, living in the same house, or even living on the same street anymore. Everything was going to be new and challenging and I was sure only more bullshit was to follow but that's life isn't it?

"I was calling you to tell you—"
"WE'RE HERE."

I hear Maya announce in a loud exaggerated voice that made me turn back to look at them with an amused smile. Maria laughed as she watched Ryan facepalm at her volume shaking his head.

The only one in the group that wasn't here was Maddie, and that was only because she was meeting us there.

"Why are you all here so early? I'm not done packing."
"We want to revel in our last moments together."

She meant it as a joke but that didn't stop my smile from dropping slightly. Once I realized, I tried to cover it up, but Jayden knew me all too well.

"Hey Cortez, my parents have a going-away gift for you. Let them finish helping you pack while we go get it."

I mentally applauded him for hiding his true intentions so gracefully.

"What? I come to be helpful and I'm forced into slave labor?" Ryan complains with wide eyes and we all roll ours at him, chuckling at his stupidity.