Chapter Twenty Nine

I am woken up by the sound of rain instead of my alarm. My eyes squint at the brightness of my phone and I notice I had snoozed my alarm, but was only a few minutes late.

I didn't bother panicking or caring as I stood up and got dressed.

Soon, a search began through my drawers for something I hadn't really worn before, and settled on white cargo pants, with an oversized blue hoodie, and white shoes.

Once I was dressed and had completed my morning hygiene, I grab a granola bar and yell for Kaylee to hurry up. The rain hadn't picked up yet, so we had time to leave before we were inevitably soaked.

She finally descends the stairs, I pull my hood on and open the front door to make a run for the car.

We get in and Kaylee is grumbling in annoyance while I'm laughing stupidly.

"Morning. I have a surprise for you, close your eyes."
"This early?" He obeys, "Am I going to hate it?"
"I really hope not. I'm so sensitive I might cry if you hate it."

He visibly smirks shaking his head, "So if I hate it I can't voice it verbally. Got it." I scoff trying not to laugh, "No. If you hate it, you've got to un-hate it."

He opened his eyes expectantly, "Where is it?" I roll my eyes at his impatience, "Wait. Close them again." He huffs and closes his eyes again. I pull down my hood which had protected me from the drizzle, then started beaming childishly to myself.

"Okay you can open your eyes." He does hesitantly, then spots my hair and smiles.

"You cut your hair?" I nod thrilled, pleased with his reaction, "Yeah. Do you like it?" He ran his hand through it, the grin still evident on his face reassuring me that I didn't look like a complete idiot with short hair. Some people don't have the face to pull it off.

"I think you look beautiful with any kind of hair."

I pause, covering my mouth feeling overwhelmingly cared about.

"AWW. Did you really just say that?"
"Oh barf." Kaylee comments from the backseat with an eye roll. My smile was so big my cheeks hurt and he chuckled at my excitement as I climbed over the center console grabbing his face gently giving him a kiss.

He stabled me with one arm so I wouldn't fall and let the other rest in my new short locks.

"Can we please go to school now?" Jayden couldn't help chuckling and I released my boyfriend with a smirk as I rolled my eyes at my sister, settling back in my seat.

"I didn't know you were this passionate about your education Kaylee."
"I definitely am now."

We all laugh and Jayden starts driving while I play the music a little louder than I should have this early in the morning.

We arrive and like expected, everyone is inside to be sheltered from the down pour. Kaylee rushes out and I give her a quick hug goodbye before she jets over to her side.

Jayden held my cold hand as we strolled inside and I swung them back and forth immaturely before we reached our group.

"Wow Jess you cut you hair." Maya examines a few stands surprised. "Yeah, you like it?" Her eyebrows contort in playful annoyance, "Jess, you have the kind of face that pulls off anything." I smile appreciating the compliment, only to have my mood instantly drop as the bell rung.

Out of all the changes I've made or am trying to make, I wish school could be one of them. I didn't want to graduate and leave but I don't want to stay here either. It's odd since school used to be my sanctuary.

We all wave goodbye to each other, Jayden drags me to first period then leaves and I sit through my classes bored, staring at the clock for hours.

My phone buzzes and my eyes dart towards my lap. My teacher was the kind of tight ass that would send you to the principal's office if you had your phone out, so I had to be discreet.