iv. she's back

~kartik's pov~

I was working in one of my home offices, checking some paper and casually taking a sip or two from my champagne glass. I looked over towards the window every minute or two to keep an eye on my younger brothers. 

There was a huge glass window in one of the home offices. I made it specifically to know if anything was happening inside the house without me being aware. I was immensely protective of my younger brothers.

I knew all of them could perfectly protect themselves, each other or me for that matter but when I was in the house I wanted to be watchful.

All the offices in our mansion were soundproof but this one office, I made sure it had a glass window, glass door, and no soundproof panels. 

Truth to be told, the past teaches you a lot and makes you regret a lot. I say that from personal experience. 

Ever since my mom went to the park with her and never returned, I was scared that my brothers would face the same fate. My father searched for her till his last breath but life's not good for everyone.

My father was a strong man, even after his own beloved wife backstabbed and betrayed him by taking my sister with her, he never once shed a tear in front of us. I never saw sadness on his face. He always put effort into making me and my brothers smile which gave us strength to fight against reality. 

But alas, we were all really small, when she was taken. No one smiled or laughed or showed any emotion for almost a whole year and no one still does, only occasionally. 

My father made so many efforts, efforts that my 11-year-old self could see and do nothing. I could see past him, see the regret and guilt swimming in his eyes that he was drowning himself in. He did not only lose the woman he thought would love him to death, but got betrayed by her with the price being his own daughter. 

I and my brothers were just innocent little children. I felt nothing but anger when I thought of my mother, she wasn't even worthy of that title, but another thing that our father taught us was to never disrespect our elders. My father was a wise man but that was total bullshit.

When he said that, I fought with him a lot, he tended to forgive easily but I knew if our mother ever came back with her, he would happily take her and get mother locked up behind bars. I knew he would and after he left, I didn't stop. 

I took over him and started doing my research to find her and the bitc- our mother. My brothers also helped me. 

Shaking away the thoughts, I started rearranging the files on my desk when I heard my phone ringing. This better be important because no one calls me without a prior appointment.

I know it's not one of my brothers since all of them are hanging out in the games room and I didn't have any business calls too, since I kept myself free today.

Today was a Saturday and I always reserved the weekend for my brothers. Another thing my father taught me is that family always comes first.

"Good afternoon, this is Sayle speaking from the London metropolitan police station. May I speak to Mr. Kartik Ahuja?" I heard a female voice on the other end.

Police station? Did one of the brothers cause havoc all the way in London?! Knowing Ahaan, he probably did.

Realizing I was still on the call, I answered, "Yes, this is Kartik Ahuja speaking."