Chapter 14: Life x Force

Eli jumped into action as he ran towards Ryder with a newfound sense of vigor. He wasn't even fully aware of what was happening, but he felt more... alive. The air felt clearer, his eyes felt sharper, and he could feel each and every one of his muscles bolting back to life as he continued to sprint towards Ryder. Ryder quickly put up another one of his odd rectangles as he quickly darted past it. He could feel the air rush against his fist as he tried to smash Ryder's face in, but he managed to react in time to block it with one of his hands, although he was clearly putting in some effort now.
"What's wrong?" He wiped some sweat from his brow as he stood tall, the fire in his eyes unyielding as he walked towards Ryder. "Not able to back up all that talk!?"

Ryder was overjoyed at the turn of events, despite the fact that things were turning against him. He finally had a proper challenge, and he was going to savor it.
"You think I can't!?"
A faint aura flowed into Ryder's limbs as he aimed another punch at Eli, who blocked with his arm. As Eli did a hook to return, Ryder blocked with his other arm. They continued to go back and forth, making and blocking each others hits, as they went blow for blow in the middle of the warehouse. Liam and Max just watched on as they saw Eli putting in the work they needed him to. He said this was his fight, so they didn't plan on butting in.
While all this was going on, Ryder was busy trying to understand what Eli's TICK really was. The only hint he seemed to have were those odd fist wrappings, bursting with power underneath, but not reflecting that when he actually took a hit from them. On top of that, they seemed to only burgeon in aura the longer they kept fighting, as if stockpiling Eli's own strength.

He could feel the recoil every time he blocked Ryder, but now it wasn't unmanageable. They felt like regular punches now— albeit strong ones. They didn't have that extra impact anymore that they used to have, but he put that aside as he looked to the wraps on his fists. He never put those on... and now they were there. He jumped back as he skidded to the edge of their makeshift battleground in the warehouse's center. He took a look at his hands before placing his fingers around the bandages, lightly tugging. At once, they flew off both of his hands, unraveling like thread as they flew off of his body from the intense aura that now came off his hands. It was strong enough that even he was aware of it now, as he looked in awe at the dense power consuming his hands. Ryder seemed rather shocked from his display as well. How the hell did he stockpile that much power already?

Ryder didn't have much time to think as he felt a fist impact his shoulder, with enough force to send him reeling, as he got sent back a dozen feet, barely keeping on his own feet as he looked over at the flaring aura of Eli's fists. It was a lot denser than any of the aura he'd seen before— that being his own. It glowed a pale yellow as he felt his own aura being overpowered by his, with even his full defense on his shoulder still resulting in taking some decent damage. He focused to concentrate all the aura he had into his fists as he stared Eli down, making his way towards him with a fire in his eyes to match his opponent's
"It's been forever since I've had any real fun, kid! I'll let the damn girl go as long as if you give me some more fun!"
Eli was happy to take his request as they began their approaches of eachother, eyes locked as they were both high off the rush of battle and lifeforce within them.

Blow after blow was exchanged then in the center of the barren building. Hooks, jabs and blocks going on for what felt like hours as both parties began to feel their reserves dwindle, and adrenaline keep them going for mere minutes longer. They were both beaten and bruised by this point, but Eli had managed to turn things around with his sudden burst of vitality, and as they met in the middle to clash fists one last time, the victor was decided. Ryder met his jaw with a hook while Eli met his gut with a raging uppercut. As they traded their last blows, they both fell down, breathing heavily as they laid flat on the ground. Max held a hand out in front of Liam to tell him that things were fine, and that he wouldn't need to go pick him up just yet. Meanwhile, Ryder's men quickly rushed over to him as they looked at him from above, with surprise— and panic in their eyes

— — —

"Boss. BOSS! Are you still aliv—"
He had covered his ears as he looked up at his worried men, a small smirk left on his face from the enjoyment he received from that fight. It was the first real fun he'd had in months, since most people they dealt with were just average people.
"Yeah yeah— I'm fine you crybabies, you're gonna give me a headache if you keep shouting..."
His men seemed relieved as he spoke once more
"Now untie the girl, they won their little challenge."
The men looked at each other for a moment before nodding, as one walked over and pulled out a knife. They cut the rope tying Liv to the chair as she quickly got up, running over to the Eli.

— — —

"Eli, are you alright!? We need to get you back to base!"
She quickly picked him up over her shoulder as she started walking, with Liam and Max following close behind. He walked weakly as he leaned on her shoulder, an arm wrapped around her back as he kept himself supported on the way out. He turned to her to speak, despite him needing to rest.
"Sorry for getting you... in to this mess."
She just sighed as she looked back at him, walking out of the warehouse. The streets were pretty calm right now, as she walked behind Max as he led them back to Killjoy.
"You don't have to apologize, this wasn't your fault..."
He seemed guilty about getting her into this, but he just passed out shortly after hearing that. That fight took a toll on him, and he needed to rest.

— — —

Mayeda was just pacing around the lobby when he heard approaching footsteps. He quickly stood straight as he looked down the hallway, seeing a tired Max and Liam, a passed out Eli, and a pretty alright looking Liv. A smirk formed on his face as he was impressed that they made it back here. But he wasn't exactly surprised either, with how hard they worked them to get her back. And so, he said the words that they had been waiting for.
"Well, all three of you passed your first job. All four of you are now official members of Killjoy. You can follow me up whenever."

— — —

Ryder had gotten to his feet after a few hours, sitting down as a white car pulled in to the empty parking of the warehouse, as he walked over to his secret stash to grab his briefcase. He walked out to the front weakly as he met face to face with a figure he'd only seen a few other times— for payments. White hair, a white and blue uniform, and that badge. The signature badge of Vanguard.
The man spoke, with a hand out as if expecting something from him.
"Your safety payment, please."
"Yeah yeah— here you go."
He put his hand in the case and pulled out a few stacks of hundred dollar bills, handing it to the man as he put them in a small bag.
"Well, looks like you aren't on our lists for the next month then. Just don't do anything too out of line, Ryder."
"You know I won't fuck with Vanguard, not after last time..."
"Good."
And with that, he stepped back into his car, and drove off."