Racetrack Higgins

Summer 2009

Dear Diary,

Im sitting in a wooden chair overlooking the mountains as the sky slowly fades into a navy blue. I've always loved sitting here after work it feels so peaceful; especially after the week I have had. But let me start from the beginning.

My best friend Race and I signed up to go to the mountains for the first time. Don't get me wrong New York is beautiful but when you lived there for so long.. let's just say I needed a quick escape. So, when we heard that our school had a program to work in the mountains I had to apply. Thankfully, we would both be going and believe me we were excited.

Everything was going great. We had befriended so many people; including people who went to the public school in Brooklyn. And let me tell you they all aren't snobby, though that's what I believe before I came here. But anyway Race and I spent so much time together swimming, watching comedies and he even got me to watch a scary movie. But one day that all changed when I met Sean Conlon. A summer that was meant for my best friend and I had now turned into a summer of me and Sean.

What ya writin' about? I heard as the door creaked closed.

Nothin'.

I quickly close my diary and looking up instantly connecting my eyes to the key around his neck. My eyes traveling upward to his smile and then to his blue eyes. He stood leaning on the wooden banister with his signature smirk.

I look out into the mountains using a terrible line to change the subject as I cling out to my diary. The views are beautiful here.

Yeah they are.

Youre not even looking.

Course I am you never said which view.

The point he thinks these lines work on me when they don't.

So what are you doing tonight?

Going to chill with some friends, you?

I look down at my life line that has brought me stability this summer.

Right, I'll see you later he smiles for a second.

Conlon. His friend calls.

I'll text you. He says as he walks down the wooden steps closing the distance to his friend.

I look at him walking as a light smile passes my lips I attempt to write were I left off.

Don't get me wrong I do like Sean. It's just that I miss Race. He always made me laugh and has always been there for me. But now we spend less and less time together. It kinda feels like our friendship is weakening. At least I know he's okay. I always see him with I think his named Nick. I just wish we could spend more time with each other like we used too. I miss him.

A tear leaks onto the page as I close my diary walking to my room to warm up.

...

A few days later, Sean and I are cuddling in the common area. Rolling the sleeves of his oversized hoodie to my wrist I attempt to watch another scary movie. My body tingles as I try to hide behind Sean's arm. Slightly jumping as the door creaks I quickly grab my phone in an attempt to calm my nerves. Scrolling deeper into the messages between Race and I the noise level of the room begins to diminish.

So do you want to?

What?

Do you want to hang out tomorrow?

I can't, I have to do laundry.

You can't... because you have to do laundry.

I nod my head. He goes silent and turns back to the TV as I scroll through old photos of Race and I. The credits begin to roll as he kisses my cheek goodnight and walks upstairs. I send a quick text to Race and go to bed. The next day I wake up around noon. Not very hungry I skip lunch as I pick up my phone on my wooden bedside table. One unread message, I click open and read it smiling.

Race:
I miss you too,
I'll be there x

Trudging my heavy duffel filled with dirty clothes and laundry essentials I make it to the laundry room. I slide Sean's hoodie off as I begin to pack my clothes into the nearest washer. I turn it on and sit down in the chair closest to the window hearing someone sit next to me.

You're not going to say hello? Race says looking at me.

Omg I'm sorry hi, I say hugging him. I missed you.

He nudges me yeah I kinda miss you too.

I genuinely smile at him.

Is that Conlons sweater?

Giving him a duh look I turn it over with Conlon displayed on the back with white lettering. I put my head down on his shoulder falling into a nice quietness enjoying my best friends company. Suddenly, a gust of wind breezes through the room. Shivering I cuddle into Race and lay Sean's sweater on my lap.

Sean appears in front of me with a set jaw. So, this is why you couldn't hang out?

I get up quickly, Sean this is Race. My best friend the...

He glares at me, it looks more to me.

Sean..

Race stands up moving closer guarding me from him. Sean chuckles sarcastically.

You know what I don't have time for this. He grabs his sweater out of my hands. I hope he's worth it. I feel an ache in my chest looking outside the window as he walks away knowing I never got the chance to explain.

A/N:
I combined a dream and an image. Can you tell which one is which?

Also, this is the first time I'm focusing on the Newsies outside of Secrets Beneath Teenage Love. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment or a vote.

Thanks for taking the time to read my book, I hope everyone is having an amazing day or night 💕