⑨ | 𝒥𝑜𝑒𝓁

Joel was right in the middle of a song when he saw the girl

Joel was right in the middle of a song when he saw the girl. She was beautiful in that innocent way - no plunging neckline or tight clothing that he was accustomed to with women. Clad in a simple, short dress and with wavy light hair framing her face, she resembled an angel. There was a sense of familiarity about her, yet he couldn't quite place her face.

He watched her for a while, then refocused on the song lyrics. Prior to his performance, he indulged in an extended line backstage, a ritual that sometimes clouded his memory during concerts. However, on this occasion, he couldn't afford any slip-ups, knowing Mike would promptly send him to rehab.

He sang two more songs from the first album and then disappeared from the stage amidst thunderous applause.

"You were great," Mike cheered. "I'm going to talk to Henry Goldstein now. I think we've got the deal in the bag."

"Excellent," Joel responded, reaching for the vodka on the rocks handed to him by the technician.. He hated the feeling of having a parched throat after a concert.

"And try not to get too drunk; we want to make a good impression," he was warned.

Joel ignored him and as soon as Mike walked away, he downed the whole glass. After all, he felt entitled to some enjoyment after his hard work.

At the party, Nova Iskandarian, a star of a popular reality show turned influencer in fashion and beauty, latched onto him. "Hey there, sweetheart, how are you?"

"Hello, Nova," Joel replied, recalling their encounters in various nightclubs where they had once been intimate. He appreciated Nova's lack of inhibition toward drugs and her zest for life. She had even proposed a wild threesome on a few occasions.

"Feeling up for some fun? I have a surprise in my purse."

"Why not?" he agreed and followed her into the house. He had never declined drugs before. Besides, if they found a private spot, maybe he would stuff it up her big ass again.

Amidst the crowd, he noticed a girl in white attire seated by the pool's edge, gazing pensively at the water. The thought of anal sex somewhere in the bathroom suddenly vanished from his mind.

"Listen, Nova, I just remembered I need to take care of something. I'll catch up with you later, alright?"

"Sure thing," Nova replied before disappearing from view. He knew she wasn't jealous and he was just one of her many prominent lovers.

Joel approached the fair-haired girl. "By any chance, do you have a lighter?"

She met his gaze with big blue eyes. "I don't smoke, sorry," she replied softly.

That was clear to him. He just needed a pretext to start a conversation. "I'm Joel Delaney."

"Iris Kingston," she replied.

Ah, that's why you seem familiar!" Joel exclaimed, recalling Mike's comparison of Iris to his decent female counterpart. Lately, she had been taking away his top spot in the charts. It struck him as odd that they had never crossed paths before.

"Not enjoying the party?"

"Well, it's amazing. I'm just a bit fatigued. I had a TV appearance this morning, and I'm longing to collapse into bed," Iris confessed.

"I can relate. Sometimes, I wish I could spend the entire day in bed. If you'd like, I could give you a ride home," Joel offered boldly, intrigued by Iris's demure charm. No girl had ever said no to him. Iris attracted him, and in those white dresses, she seemed much more exciting than Nova's provocative ass.

"That's kind of you, but I'm here with my mom," Iris replied, catching Joel off guard with her response.

Unsure if she was mocking him or genuinely naive, Joel found himself at a loss. "Ah, I see."

They were silent for a while, watching the guests around them. The level of fun rose in parallel with alcohol consumption, and Hollywood stars competed to see who among them was better, more entertaining, and richer.

"Would you be interested in going out for dinner sometime?" he ventured, studying Iris's reaction closely.

Iris smiled, a blush tinting her cheeks. "Are you asking me out on a date?"

Joel was captivated by the notion. Amidst the pretentiousness of the Hollywood party, Iris Kingston stood out as the epitome of purity-a stark contrast to the women he had encountered thus far. "Would you say yes if I did?"

"Perhaps," she replied, her enigmatic smile adding to her allure.

Suddenly, a woman bearing a striking resemblance to Iris interrupted their exchange. "Shall we leave now?" she announced.

"Mom, this is Joel Delaney," Iris introduced him before rising abruptly.

"Claudia Kingston, pleasure to meet you. Your performance was splendid," Claudia remarked, though her warm words belied the coolness in her gaze as she scrutinized Joel.

Once a rising star, Joel Delaney had enjoyed fleeting fame before his career took a nosedive. In Claudia's eyes, this tinker was far from a suitable match for Iris.

"The pleasure is mine," Joel replied, extending his hand, only for Claudia to withdraw hers hastily.

The Irish accentseemed to grate on her nerves. "Come along, Iris. The car is waiting forus downstairs," Claudia instructed, whisking her daughter away from him."

🅗🅞🅛🅛🅨🅦🅞🅞🅓 🅓🅡🅔🅐🅜🅢