Demon Husband

"Um....why do you feel that way, if I may ask?" Dr. Chase asked bemusedly, looking between me and my fake husband, who glared at me. The nurse had to turn away to stifle her laughter, but she chuckled before stopping.

"Four reasons. One: His wife just woke up from a coma and has memory loss, and he can't be bothered to come talk to her? Two: He glares at me with no sense of love or compassion. Three: If I were a serial killer, someone with amnesia who could be easily manipulated into believing I am their spouse would be the perfect victim. Four: He is a book nerd, totally not my type. You're more my type than him," I explained formally, observing the dark man's reaction. He smirked slightly but just reopened his book, clearly not caring to dispel my theory.

"Never complained I wasn't your type in bed," my husband mumbled to himself, almost amused.

"You have some good points. However, I am SURE he is your husband," Dr. Chase said, shaking his head and motioning for me to lean forward to listen to my heart.

"Why's that?" I asked, fairly confident I was correct in my assessment.

"I was at your wedding, Anna. He is your husband, I promise," my husband drank his coffee, ignoring my suspicious glaring entirely. I hummed thoughtfully.

"Maybe you're a serial killer too and in on it. How do I know you're really a doctor? What if you're running some sort of experiment on me?" My husband actually choked a bit on his coffee at this, and I thought I might have seen a small smile, but it was hard to tell with all his angry aura hanging around him.

"Anna, I swear you're the only patient I have ever met that wakes up with amnesia and is immediately extra. Come on. No serial killers here and no weird experiments. Clearly, you watched too many horror movies. My God. How this man managed to stay married to you for five years is beyond me," Dr. Chase said, rubbing his temple, clearly unsure how to deal with my questions. He seemed normal enough, so I huffed and sat back in the bed, taking my arm back, grateful when the nurse was done.

"Becky, make sure you don't forget her pain meds. It's much easier to manage pain if we stay on top of it," Dr. Chase said, marking one last thing on my chart before squeezing my good arm a bit and giving me a sympathetic look.

"It will get easier. Just hang in there, okay?" The kind doctor said before sweeping out, just leaving me with the nurse and evil husband.

"Okay, some Percocet for you! Should help make that arm feel much better," Nurse Becky said after cleaning up the gauze from my dressing change.

"No thanks," I said wearily, not trusting that it wasn't the cause of my amnesia. Perhaps it was a mind-altering drug they were giving me to keep me docile for their experiments. I didn't want to have anything that would make me feel more lost than I already did.

The nurse looked at me confused, holding the pills still out for me, not sure what to do. Apparently, people didn't really turn down pain meds.

"You heard the doctor. No need to suffer, Anna. You've been through..."

"I said NO," I repeated with a hint of panic this time, moving away from the pills stubbornly.

"Anna, I'm just trying to help," the nurse said, sounding a bit hurt and confused. She seemed nice enough, but even pure evil could SEEM nice.

"Then leave. I don't want any," my husband slammed the book shut, clearly having enough of my refusals, and took the pills from the nurse angrily. He seemed like just a book nerd before, but I had not realized how tall he was sitting down or how well-built he was. When he was angry, he was positively frightened. The nurse jumped back, startled when he snatched the pills from her, and she took a few steps away, leaving me with the pissed-off demon.

"Stop with your crap, Anna. Open your mouth. NOW," his dark eyes bore into mine, and I contemplated how small I seemed to be compared to him. If I had indeed been married to him, clearly, it wouldn't have been a happy marriage. He had anger issues evidently and didn't seem loving in any respect. I wondered dimly if he was the reason I was here, though why would they let him stay in the room if he had broken my arm, burned me, and caused brain damage?

I opened my mouth, shaking a bit with fear, realizing the nurse wasn't going to save me and let him put the pills in my mouth. He shut my mouth forcefully and held it shut until I swallowed. Just as quickly as he had gotten up and stormed to me, he left to sit back down, opening the book harshly again to ignore me.

I felt my eyes well up with tears from the thoughts that filled my mind chaotically and like a messy blender had turned on. Was he always like that? What would he do when we were alone? Was I unhappy with him? Was he the reason I was here?

"I have to go to my next patient, but you just ring for me if you need me, okay?" The nurse said, gaining her bearing again and showing me the call button with a sympathetic smile. I pleaded with her not to go with my eyes, afraid to say it aloud, but she just patted my good arm and swept off, eager to get away from the demonic husband.