Death is Looming

** TW Blood loss , also don't forget to like and comment your thoughts! Any ideas you have could go into the next chapter **

The only place that I could isolate myself was my lab. I could only contribute so much now that I was affected, and my prime goal in life was finding the cure. Every suggestion I had given the hospital CEO had failed, and now that community transmission had taken place, the panic had really started for the city and surrounding area. It was a horrible situation, and not knowing how to fix things made it that much worse.

I stared at the virus through the slide and watched it wiggle around alive after my last attempt to kill it using human immune cells. I had tried antivirals, even poison on the damn thing. It was the worst possible virus to have spread rapidly around a city now without any hope for a cure in sight.

Unless I could figure something out in the next twenty-four hours, I was done. I had sent the virus off to a very credible lab across the globe, hoping for some help, but they had no luck either trying to find a way to combat the virus. It was as if our immune system was incapable of fighting off the virus and wouldn't create the necessary antibodies needed to kill it. They needed a boost somehow, but I didn't know how. When the virus interacted with our immune cells, it would try to make a copy of the spike protein, but it was too slow of a process, and the virus would kill it. Murderous virus on steroids.

I knew Russia was behind this, but I couldn't find enough evidence to fully place the blame. Luckily, the news outlets didn't care and bashed them as the creators of the virus without any evidence needed. This was the work of a literal mad scientist.

My nosebleed had finally started easing up, and my headache was starting to set in. I tried desperately to focus on what needed to be done, but everything was going in and out of focus like a bad movie playing out before me.

"Jason?" The tentative voice asked quietly, interrupting me for the first time in twelve hours since I had started to quarantine. I knew that voice even though the inflection was unfamiliar. Anna was always confident. Her tone never held any sense of question when calling for me.

"Anna, you're supposed to be quarantining," I said without even turning around. I needed this solved now and didn't have time for her drama. She was quiet, so I assumed at first that she had left, but then I heard stifled sobs. I spun around in my chair and saw her. Her nose was bleeding profusely, not like the slight nosebleed I had encountered, and she looked deathly pale with her towel soaked in blood.

"What the fuck, Anna! Why are you here? You need to be in bed!" I yelled, grabbing her seconds before her knees gave out. She looked like death, and yet my symptoms were getting better somehow. Clearly, my body was fighting the infection off better comparatively, which was something I could investigate next.

She was shaking and suffering from shock from blood loss. Every part of me that had wished for her death hated myself, realizing I was going to get exactly what I asked for. My angel was like a feather in my arms, not her usual firm and full self. Even without the virus, how she was alive was beyond me. She clearly hadn't been taking care of herself in any manner.

"How much have you eaten in the last week?" I asked, setting her on the lab table on my coat, wishing there was someplace more comfortable, but that was all I had. She seemed too weak to care.

"I dunno. When you brought me food. And some snacks with Isabella. That's it, I guess," she stuttered through shaking teeth.

"No one brought you anything else? Why didn't someone help bring you down here?" I asked her angrily. I wasn't angry at her, but rather myself for not having been there to take care of her.

"Everyone vanished after you left. I think... think they all have it," she stammered, trying to get up but only able to lift herself a few inches before falling back. If she had stopped in the hall, she would have died right there and then.

"You need iron," I said, rummaging quickly through all the medical supplies in the lab before finding the iron detran I needed and gave her a shot quickly, ignoring her annoyed 'ow'.

"I don't think we have blood in here. Fuck. What the fuck do I do now?" I asked myself, pouring through the cabinets desperately. I had heard from the hospital CEO that their next shipment of blood wasn't for twenty-four hours since they had gone through their entire stock since the outbreak started. By then, it would be too late for Anna. I closed my eyes, trying to control myself, but the panic I had ignored for weeks now since the crash pushed against me, collapsing on me like a brick wall. My breaths came in shallow, and I couldn't stop the memories from flooding back and breaking over my barriers.

**Flashback **

I ran to the wrecked car, yanking the door open in one harsh pull, almost pulling my shoulder out of the socket with how much force was needed on the crumpled door.

My life force was sitting in the front seat and was covered in blood. She was pale as a white sheet except for the ample amount of blood poured over her.

"I got you Anna. Let's get you out." I said putting out the flame in the seat next to her from the gas from the other car that had gone on her seat and spread to her arm.

"Sera. Get her." She muttered, coming around a bit. My guilt was crushing seeing her like this. She didn't deserve this. She deserved the world without pain. Without me.

"Sera is fine." I said only then glancing back at the three year old who thankfully was indeed fine and just had a broken arm it looked like. She gave me a pitiful look, but didn't cry seeming to understand I needed to get momma out first. The car was smoking and I knew it was going to catch fire any moment so I tried to work quickly but her latch was stuck.

"Fuck. Stay with me, Anna." I said, slapping her across the face for the first time ever, hating myself. I needed to keep her conscious, though, so I knew it was needed. She came around again and hummed, looking around, confused at the scene, making no attempts to get out. I finally managed to unclasp her belt and picked her up, getting her out carefully and setting her against a tree before going back for Sera.

The moment the baby was out, she reached for her mom, and Anna weakly let her get on her lap for her monkey hug. I was nervous to let Sera on her lap, but there was no fighting her on that.

"I love you," Anna said softly, looking down at the copious amount of blood she was covered in. Her blue eyes met mine, knowing what I knew. This wasn't survivable. This wasn't the plan. This wasn't how things were supposed to go. I had everything all planned out. Our whole love together. I couldn't say goodbye to her here. This was my fault. "I love you too. Just hang with me, Anna.

"Don't leave me," I told her, holding her cold hand tightly. The ambulance came up just then, and I had a small amount of hope even though she had lost hers. She nuzzled Sera tenderly before letting them take her away to work on her and get her arm looked at.

"Go with Sera." She begged me, the desperation in her voice weak but clear.

"Of course." I lied, having no intention of leaving her. Her eyes closed, and I heard one of them ask for a crash cart for her stopped heart. Everything was a blur after that, and I went hours assuming she was dead. Every doctor that worked on her told me to expect as much. She had lost so much blood they didn't know if she was worth saving at one point, and I doubted they would have continued working on her if they didn't know me personally.

When they finally let me know two days later she was going to pull through, I didn't believe it.

**End Flashback**