Chapter 18- Moving Forward

The day had finally came, the day Peter turned 18. He wasn't going to have time to celebrate. 

The first thing he did was go and get some ID, he needed that to get a job, apartment etc. and it took way longer than it should've. 

Then he did a shift at Delmar's, he picked up some flowers on his way out and made his way towards the place he hadn't returned to in, far to long. 

Walking up the hill Peter felt the sadness wash over him, like it always does. He walked toward four plain headstones, holding the names of his parents and his aunt and uncle. 

He set a flower down on each, looking on, remembering any and all happy memories he had with them. 

"I know its been a long time, I've been dealing with some stuff-" Peter's voice faltered. 

"I know this isn't what you guys wanted for me, it sucks that this all happened but, but I got some ID now, and I'm 18! I can support myself and uh, get an apartment and a better job and- I know this wasn't the plan, but I had to pivot."

"I'm trying my best and ill keep doing that, I promise ill make you guys proud, ill get there. I miss you guys..." 

"Its all been so hard, there's good things too but- it doesn't out weigh the bad you know? I got a plan but it'll still take some time to get there."

"I'm trying to make you proud and to be a good person, I am being a good person, I'm saving people, and that's what matters right? That I'm using my power responsibly." 

"It doesn't mean this isn't hard, it is. I know you guys would tell me I'm holding the weight of the world on my shoulders and I should share that burden with the people who love and care about me but, I've kind of pushed everyone away."

"Its for their safety! Maybe, maybe a little for my own selfish reasons...but mostly to keep them safe."

"And yes, I know aunt may you'd be saying I'm and idiot for thinking like that but, its what I think is right. Id like to be able to just say its the easiest thing but its not, its actually really hard."

"But this is the path I'm choosing and I cant change that now. I got to stick with it. Ha, I don't know who I'm trying to convince more, you- or myself." 

"I love you guys..." With that Peter walked towards a large headstone further along, placing a flower on the one beside it and the rest of the bouquet on the large slab in front of him. 

It read, here lies Gwen Stacey, Beloved Daughter, Owner of the Kindest Heart. 

Peter stared at the headstone, he never could bring himself to say anything to her. He felt he would finally break if he let himself speak. 

So he turned and walked away. With the same sad smile he always did after visiting with his family. 

Peter walked towards the Daily Bugle, a SD card in hand, to hopefully sell some photos of well, himself. 

He was going to try sell pictures of himself as Spider-Man to the number one haters of Spider-Man in all of New York. 

This was going to go so well for Peter, nothing could go wrong with this plan. Ha

The night before he had bought a decent camera and an SD card, then made his was towards some abandoned warehouses. 

It was a learning curve at first, webbing his camera up, having a timer, making sure there was enough lighting. 

It was actually all pretty fun for Peter, he hadn't anticipated enjoying taking pictures as much as he had. 

He took still shots, close ups, long range, his favorite were long range action shots though, something about capturing the way he swung through the air made the pictures come out amazingly cohesive.