Chpt.1

Dr. Amelia Singh squinted through the microscope, a manic glint in her usually calm brown eyes. On the slide, a single-celled monstrosity writhed, its translucent body pulsing with an unnatural light. This was it. Pathogen-E, the culmination of years of clandestine research, pulsed with the potential to rewrite the human story. It wasn't brute strength or enhanced senses she sought, but the ability to manipulate the very fabric of reality – magnetism and electricity at our fingertips.

Government suits, their faces pale with a mixture of awe and trepidation, crowded behind her. The initial trials had been a resounding success.  Subjects, carefully screened for blood type O, displayed an unnerving control over the world around them. One volunteer sculpted metal into intricate shapes with an unseen hand, and another levitated effortlessly, their bodies crackling with nascent power.

But Amelia, ever the scientist, knew success often held a hidden price. Late nights hunched over her microscope paid off when she discovered a horrifying truth. Pathogen-E, while replicating within the host cells and altering their DNA as planned, also produced a rogue protein. This protein, a gremlin in the genetic machinery, began to warp the subjects' minds. The once-docile volunteers morphed into erratic shells of their former selves, their newfound powers a hair's trigger away from catastrophic destruction. Pathogen-E, the harbinger of evolution, became Pathogen-V, a chilling reminder of science's perilous dance with the unknown. 

Years later, whispers of hope flickered through the ravaged world. Rumors of people with stable powers emerged, and soon the government made a public announcement – Project Pathogen-H. This new treatment, unlike its volatile predecessor (Pathogen-V), promised controlled power without the descent into madness. Public broadcasts showcased controlled lightning displays and metal manipulation, igniting a nervous, yet hopeful spark in the hearts of the populace. Could a future with powerful heroes, free from the tyranny of Pathogen-V, finally exist?

However, there was a catch. Pathogen-H was more delicate to produce than V, requiring stringent selection processes. This created a stark divide – those chosen for the program, and those left behind. The age of heroes and villains dawned, the former striving for order, the latter carving out their own twisted domains.

Among these villains, the most feared was the **Lightning King**. Bathed in perpetual blue electricity, his true identity remained a mystery, a casualty of the virus's assault on his memory. He reveled in his power, wielding it with terrifying ease. Unlike others who donned costumes, the King reveled in his raw, untamed energy, his form obscured by a crackling storm. Only the hero known as **Voltaic** could rival him. A mirrored enigma shrouded in golden lightning, Voltaic's origin remained shrouded in mystery. Their first clash occurred during a public rampage by the King, their powers clashing in a display of crackling energy.

The King, his blue lightning dancing around him, shrugged off bullets from the powerless guards as he stormed a hidden harbor compound. Rumors painted it as a potential Pathogen-H lab. The air was thick with ozone, blood, and burnt flesh, the King cackled with maniacal glee as he carved a path through the facility. He loomed over a huddle of terrified scientists, savoring their fear as he prepared to unleash a torrent of electricity.

Suddenly, a metal bar slammed into his back, eliciting a surprised yelp. Spinning around, the King was met with a sight that stopped him cold. A young girl, her hands burnt red from the shock, stood defiantly before him.

"Foolish child," he rumbled, a touch of amusement lacing his voice. "You dare challenge a god?"

"You might kill me," she retorted, her blue eyes blazing with defiance, "but I've already called Voltaic. He'll be here soon."

The King considered her. "A nuisance, perhaps. But I can silence you and disappear." He roughly grabbed the girl, manipulating her polarity to avoid electrocuting her.

"You can't escape him," she warned. "He'll find you."

Suddenly, a thunderous crash echoed through the room. Voltaic, a golden warrior mirroring the King, stood resolute. "Release her, King. She's innocent. Face me."

The King smirked, hoisting the girl higher. "A tempting offer, Spark. But how about this? I take your little friend here hostage. Follow me, and she dies. Let me go, and she lives."

Voltaic's eyes narrowed, a silent debate raging within him. The King seized his hesitation, launching himself through a window and disappearing into the night sky. The girl, caught in the King's grasp, let out a scream that shattered the room's tension.

"Brother!" she cried, her voice revealing a truth that would forever alter their world.

Shortly after being launched out the window with the king, adrenaline coursed through Alara's veins, then abruptly abandoned her, leaving her unconscious. When she awoke, she found herself in a small, unfamiliar bed. The rhythmic rocking beneath her confirmed her suspicion - she was on a boat.  

Disoriented, Alara threw off the scratchy blanket and shakily stood, using the wall for support as she made her way up the creaking wooden steps to the deck. The sight that greeted her was like peering through the bars of a giant metal birdcage that dominated the top of the boat. A Faraday cage.

A lone figure stood at the back of the boat by one of the cage doors. A man in a tattered trench coat, his shoulder-length black hair catching the salty breeze. Alara approached cautiously, her heart hammering in her chest. As she reached out to tap him on the shoulder, a jolt of electricity surged through her hand, throwing her back with a startled cry.

The man chuckled, a sound devoid of humor. As he turned, a wave of terror washed over Alara. This was the infamous king – the one whose face remained a mystery, a terrifying secret guarded by the countless who had perished or remained silent out of fear. But the face that greeted her defied her expectations. It was surprisingly kind, somewhere between round and angular, with a gentle smile that crinkled the corners of his eyes. Not the maniacal grin she'd witnessed the day before, but a smile that held a hint of...mischief?

"Ha! Got you," he boomed, his voice surprisingly lighthearted. "I figured you'd wake up soon. How are you feeling? Hungry? Thirsty? I can't offer the gourmet delights a hero's sibling might have access to, but I always make sure to have a good meal before bed."

The king, or whoever this was, Alara still wasn't entirely convinced, walked over to a crate and pulled out a bag of plums. He tossed one towards her. "Here, these are my favorite. Wouldn't want to upset Voltaic by accidentally electrocuting his little sister, you know? Besides, changing your polarity burns a lot of energy. This should help you feel better."

Alara eyed the proffered fruit with suspicion. The king was right, though. Despite the deep sleep, she still felt drained. Hesitantly, she reached out and took the plum, surprised when it passed through the energy field unharmed. She took a tentative bite. The fruit was perfectly ripe, bursting with sweetness, and she devoured it in seconds. Wiping the juice from her chin with her sleeve, she cast a wary glance around. "May I sit down somewhere, sir?" she asked, her voice carefully polite.

The king shrugged, gesturing to the entire ship. "The whole place is yours, except for the bridge and the Faraday cage. You try messing with either of those, and I'll give you a light show you won't forget." His voice dropped to a menacing growl, a stark contrast to his previous lightheartedness.

Alara swallowed hard, nodding in acknowledgment. He wouldn't hesitate to carry out his threat. "So, the cage keeps you hidden, and the boat is your...transportation," she ventured, piecing things together. "That explains why you only attack coastal cities."

The king grinned, seemingly pleased that someone finally grasped his ingenuity. "Bingo! But that's not all. The cage also blocks incoming and outgoing signals. Your fancy phone won't work here, not that I haven't already confiscated it." He chuckled again, a hint of darkness returning to his eyes. "There's also the matter of fuel. The cage absorbs the electrical energy I emit and uses it to power the boat's electric motor. Perpetual motion, wouldn't you say? Except for the occasional food and… elective refueling," he added with a wink, leaving Alara to ponder the disturbing implication.

"Now that the introductions are out of the way," the king boomed, his voice echoing across the deck, "let's get down to business. I'm sure you're aware of who I am, but I'd like to know about this secret super sibling my dear nemesis has done so well to hide."