Chpt.6

A cold dread filled Alara.  The truth hit her like a blow: Rex had been targeting these facilities.  Why?  To prevent the creation of new heroes?  A million questions swirled in her mind.

Suddenly, a police scanner crackled to life, startling her.  "Attention all units, retreat. They're sending in a hero."  The voice listed a location.  Alara checked the navigation system – they were headed straight there.  Why would Rex be going into another villain's territory?  He'd attacked other villains before, but it was always dismissed as madness.

"Curiosity killed the cat, you know, darling," Rex's voice cut through the air, making Alara jump.  She spun around, flustered.  "I, uh, just wanted to know… where we were headed.  Are we going to help a villain fight a hero?  Attack another compound?  Or take over some territory?"

Rex stretched, a slow yawn escaping his lips.  He sauntered over to Alara, brushing a kiss against her forehead before turning towards the map.

"Everything," Rex declared, a dark glint in his eyes.  "Help the villain kill the hero, then take out the villain myself.  Finally, I'll create enough chaos that the compound's destruction goes unnoticed.  Just a drop in the bucket compared to the city burning."

Alara approached him, her voice laced with concern.  "But why all this destruction, Rex?  Heroes, compounds… I understand wanting to eliminate them, but why the villain?  Don't you operate alone?"

Rex sighed, his grip tightening around her.  "You don't understand.  It's not the heroes or the compounds themselves.  It's Pathogen-H."

Alara's brow furrowed.  "But Pathogen-H grants powers!  It makes people heroes!  Why fight against that?"

Rex stared out the window, his gaze distant.  "That's exactly why, darling.  It *makes* them.  Good or evil, that should be a choice, not a side effect of a forced evolution.  If I'd known the consequences…"  His voice trailed off, laced with regret.

Alara tilted her head, her expression troubled.  "But wouldn't wiping out Pathogen-H mean killing every hero and villain?  Including you… and my brother?"

Rex nodded grimly.  "Yes.  I'm aware of the cost.  Though…"  He hesitated, a flicker of uncertainty crossing his face.  "There may be a change of plans."

Alara reached out, her fingers gently brushing his cheek.  The weight of his goal pressed down on her, both terrifying and strangely sympathetic.  "What kind of change, Rex?"

Rex met her gaze, a hint of desperation flickering in his eyes.  "I won't hurt you.  Your brother… well, let's just say he's been… excused from my genocide plan.  But as much as I…"  He faltered, his voice thick with emotion.  "As much as I care for you, Alara, I can't escape my own judgment.  The damage is done."

Alara's eyes widened in terror. She clung to Rex, burying her face in his chest. "No, please," she choked out. "I can't… I can't lose you. Can't you just… forget it all and stay?"

Rex held her close, his voice a low rumble. "There's too much blood, Alara. And when this is over… when I've eradicated the pathogens… I fear I might be too far gone."

Alara pushed back, scrambling onto the table. She crossed her arms, trying to project a fierce facade, but tears welled in her eyes. "If you kill yourself, or do something that gets you killed… I'll never forgive you, Rex. My whole life, I'll hate you for leaving me." Her voice trembled, betraying her bravado. The fear of losing him was far more terrifying than his plan.

Rex stepped closer, grabbing her legs, and pulling her against him. "If that's the price I pay for you being safe… then so be it. I'll die knowing someone will protect you." He cupped her cheek, his kiss a desperate plea. He ached to hold her closer, but a flicker of reason held him back. The deeper they fell, the harder it would be for her to let go when he was gone. He couldn't allow himself to be entirely consumed by desire.