CHAPTER 20

Please don't be a dead viewer! Comment your thoughts and vote on each chapter. Constructive criticism is welcome, and feel free to point out any mistakes so I can fix them!

 Constructive criticism is welcome, and feel free to point out any mistakes so I can fix them!

Liam and I face off on the mat, both of us drenched in sweat.

It's been around a month since Saoghal started channeling. I'd started channeling lessons with Professor Carr, and I think he either saw me as an interesting experiment or he hated my ass. Every chance he got, he would test my limits and watch me like a hawk, either waiting to see if I'll explode or simply be unable to perform. So far it's been the latter.

While I'm not as bad as some of the students in my class, I'm certainly far from the best. I can hardly lift a small stone without my head feeling like it's about to pop from the pressure.

Liam throws the first punch. I duck swiftly and skip behind him. I don't have the chance to put him in a chokehold, because he's already facing me, fists up.

I launch an attack at his torso, which is left fairly undefended, but pull back when he lands a blow to my shoulder. "Fuck," I curse, skipping back out of his reach. "How did you get so good?"

Liam shrugs, grinning. "You pick up a few tricks when you're a marked one," he says in a vague explanation. I roll my eyes, before launching myself at him. I manage to land a blow to his face from my use of surprise—mostly luck—and he stumbles back.

Liam quickly gathers his wits again, however, and throws blow after blow with his fists. I'm forced to retreat to the corner of the mat until I finally spot an opening on his left.

I dart to the side, not stepping off the mat, as I slip past his blows. I kick his knees in from behind, and Liam falls onto his stomach. He's about to roll over when I step up onto his broad back, eliciting a groan from him.

"Got you," I say tauntingly, leaning over slightly from where I stand on top of him. "Do you yield?"

Liam holds out for a moment longer, but I lean my weight forward so the brunt of it is over his lungs. "Yield," he chokes out and I hop off his back, leaving the man gasping for breath. "Holy shit, Ria. You fight dirty."

I shrug as I walk over to the bench where Violet's armor lays drying. We sit down next to each other, and I let Liam take a swig of water from my canteen. "Fair isn't the only way to win," I say, nudging his shoulder. "As long as you win, right?"

Liam grins. "As long as you win," he agrees.

We watch Rhiannon and Violet spar in silence for a moment. I can hear them bickering and talking, but don't really try to listen in. I only really pay attention when Xaden walks in, Garrick  at his side, as usual.

"Go away unless you have something useful to say," Violet snaps at him. She continues to battle with Rhiannon as Xaden walks by.

"Move faster," Xaden supplies. "You'll be less likely to die. How's that for useful?"