3.06 A Grim Retreat

The Riders' latest altercation with Viggo leads to a few changes for everyone on the Edge, some more welcome than others.

Ragnar has absolutely no problem with the way he and Hiccup now spend every night together. Not only does it help soothe Hiccup's new nightmares about extinct Buffalord and cures that don't work, but it's an easy way for each of them to make sure the other doesn't stay up all night.

Less welcome is the way Hiccup has gotten completely overprotective. He understands, of course, but he also knows that, eventually, something will have to give.

The other Riders are no help. They think it's funny to watch Hiccup fuss over Ragnar whether he's doing something he might consider dangerous or not.

The main change, however, is the way Hiccup has become so focused on preparing for Viggo and what his next plan might be. The Gronkle iron reinforcement walls aren't a bad idea but...

"Hic?" Ragnar calls, frowning as he watches the way the dragons are starting to falter in their iron production.

Hiccup immediately guides Toothless to Nightshade's side. "What's wrong?"

Ragnar bites back an exasperated sigh. "I'm fine," he assures him not for the first time. He gestures below. "We might have a problem though."

They touch down in the clearing the others are using to make the Gronkle iron. Meatlug, Hookfang, and Barf and Belch are all making the metal sheets though their movements have slowed down to a far more sluggish speed.

"Uh, Hiccup?" Fishlegs says, watching his dragon expel another mouthful of magma in concern. "I think Meatlug might be ready for a break. She's starting to lose her gag reflex."

"Guess the perfect little machine isn't so perfect after all," Snotlout mocks.

"Have you checked your dragon?" he asks with an unimpressed look. "The giant oven doesn't look too perky either."

"Huh?"

Hookfang then proceeds to flop down on the ground and unintentionally lets out a snort of fire. The flames nearly hit Barf and Belch who responds with a cloud of Zippleback gas and spark. When the resulting explosion nearly hits Stormfly, she sends a few tail spines in their direction.

"Uh, what?" Tuffnut asks in confusion when the twins suddenly find themselves pinned upside down from a tree branch.

Toothless snarls at Stormfly for it, just as irritated as the other dragons. The noise annoys Nightshade who gives a sharp chirp and turns her back on all of them, nose in the air.

"Really? You too, bud?" Hiccup asks.

Toothless responds by starting an argument with Stormfly and Hookfang.

"Alright, that's it!" Hiccup decides. "Dragons, to your corners!"

Ragnar chuckles when Toothless gives his rider a betrayed look then walks over to him instead. "Aw, it's okay, Toothless," he coos, scratching behind an earflap when the Night Fury looks up at him with big, wounded eyes.

"Really?" Hiccup repeats in disbelief. "You know he just got in trouble, right?"

"They're working too hard," Ragnar tells him simply. He smiles and scratches Nightshade's jaw when she joins them. "He didn't mean anything by it."

"Stop spoiling them," he says with a reluctant smile of his own.

"Hey, Hiccup?" Tuffnut suddenly calls from where he and Ruffnut are still in the tree. "Did you know that upside down, you actually have a metal arm instead of a metal leg?"