Chapter 55

December 2024

A few days after the end of the season, we traveled to Rwanda, where the FIA prize-giving ceremony was held. Don't ask me why in Rwanda, even Charles couldn't explain it to me satisfactorily. However, it was a welcomed distraction after all and the internet speculations about what happened in Abu Dhabi and why Charles was in the hospital with me finally calmed down a bit. We both agreed that it wasn't something the public should know about, especially when those closest to us didn't even know about it. And we both wanted it to stay that way.

"I think it's pretty clear by now that red is your colour," Charles smiled as he handed me the carefully selected dress for tonight. I smirked and took the white box from him. I opened the lid and saw a classic red dress. I looked at Charles, who was biting his lower lip tensely, waiting for my reaction. Wordlessly, I took them out and spread them out on the bed so I could examine them. They were minimalistic, floor-length, with a strip of fabric over one shoulder and a rather provocative slit. "They are fit for a queen," I commented and Charles smiled. He walked up to me and placed his hand on my lower back. "They are fit just for you."

The evening was incredibly festive and classy, but to tell the truth, I was just waiting for Charles to receive the trophy for the best driver and Fred for the best team. A satisfied and proud smile settled on my face and finally, everything was as it should be. We were officially photographed as a couple for the first time, and even though I was quite insecure, Charles made it his personal goal to make me feel less nervous, so he kept whispering compliments and jokes in my ear, and I had no choice but to relax. When I later saw the photos on the Internet, I was surprised at how relaxed and in love we both looked.

This was followed by an after-party where I finally got to know Kelly, girlfriend of Max who accepted the second-place award. Charles was in a good mood, which was definitely helped by the few drinks he drank after the official part. He wanted to have fun and I could barely keep up with him. I felt like a teenager in love again. My feet hurt from dancing in high heels and several times I seriously considered throwing away my shoes and dancing barefoot. But I came to the conclusion that among the important people here I would look like a yokel. Which I was partly, but no one had to know right away.

Seeing him so happy and relaxed was extremely refreshing after the past few weeks. He was the guy I fell in love with again and all our worries went away.

The very next day, we flew to Nice with Max and Kelly, and from there back to Monaco. Charles just had to show off his shiny trophy to his family and friends, and I was grateful to see them again. Seeing the proud look in the eyes of Pascale and his brothers was worth the long journey and the whole sleepless night. She kissed Charles on the cheek, held him tightly in her arms for maybe a few minutes, whispered something in his ear, and he smiled like a Cheshire cat. This was followed by a joint family dinner at a VIP restaurant on the coast.

"Have you already thought about where you will spend Christmas?" Pascale asked all of her sons and you could tell how much she wanted them to say they were spending Christmas with her. It occurred to me at that moment that Charles and I had successfully ignored this topic up until that moment, and I looked at him a little scared. But he ignored me and continued eating his pappardelle happily. I nudged him with my elbow to alert him to the precarious situation he was in. "Huh?" he grunted and looked at me. I nodded to his mother, who repeated the question and was still patiently waiting for an answer. "We haven't talked about it yet," Charles admitted, stuffing another spoonful of pasta into his mouth. I shook my head at how he handled the situation and in the meantime, a saving thought came up to me. "Every year at our guest house, we organize a New Year's party for family and neighbours. I know it's pretty late and you may have your own plans, but would you like to join us? We have plenty of rooms and dad would definitely like to see you all again," I said. I knew I dodged Christmas, but it could be a compromise. Arthur immediately nodded enthusiastically, and finally Pascale and Lorenzo agreed when I assured them that they really wouldn't be a burden.

"See how beautifully you handled that," Charles smirked later that evening when we had already returned to his apartment. "You weren't much help," I said, poking him in the ribs. "Can I make that up to you somehow?" he asked me with a puppy dog look. Suddenly my eyes fell on the piano behind him. Charles turned and smiled. "That's easier than I expected," he stated, I laughed and we both sat down. He to the piano and I to the chair not far from him. He started playing a tune I hadn't heard before and I let myself be mesmerized by the slow music and the sight of his fingers sliding across the keys.

When he finished, we just sat in silence for a while, looking at each other with a smile. "You know what I would like to know?" he asked, pressing his ass next to me into the chair. "No," I admitted truthfully, letting myself be hugged by him and resting my head on his shoulder. "Where would you like to spend Christmas?"