Chapter 57

December 2024

"My mom used to bake the best panettone in the world. But this one is also fine," I said truthfully with my mouth stuffed with sweet pastries. Charles looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "This is from a famous local pastry shop. It cost me a team cap and a selfie to get the last piece," he grumbled. "It's excellent, Charlie. I appreciate that you got it," I smiled at him and his expression immediately softened again. "Thanks," he whispered and kissed my cheek. "Do you always carry a team cap with you as a form of bribery?" I smirked and he shrugged. "You never know when it will come in handy."

Our December 25th started out lazy and slow. In our pajamas, we enjoyed the breakfast that Charles had generously provided and we both placed gifts for each other under the Christmas tree that the hotel staff had delivered. I was quite nervous about the gifts I bought him, because they were just small things. Small things out of love, but I had a hunch that Charles would exceed all imaginable limits. "It's time?" he asked with bright eyes as we finished breakfast. I nodded silently and reached for the first gift. He unwrapped yellow socks with little red Formula 1 cars on them and acted like they were the best present in the world. He immediately stretched them on his feet and looked at them with satisfaction. My nervousness subsided a bit, because if he was this happy about the socks, everything else could only have an upward trend.

In addition to the socks, Charlie also unwrapped our framed photo from the yacht during the summer break. It was a snapshot taken by Pascale and it instantly became my favorite photo. Headphones, because he lost his old ones somewhere again and a book on how to make a hit song, which was originally supposed to be more of a joke, but for some reason Charles was happy again. In return, I received a just-published book on modern procedures in physiotherapy with a dedication from the author, which certainly cost Charlie one more cap. A beautiful royal blue Ferrari handbag, which I will guard with my life until finally there were only two small boxes left under the tree. One for me and one for him. "You first," I suggested, handing him the one I had packed. Charlie tore off the paper not so gently and flipped open the lid of the jewelry box. "Are you kidding me?" he blurted out as he examined the bracelet and looked at me. "You unwrap yours," he chuckled. I reached for the second box and quickly peeked inside. Nestled inside was a thin bracelet, probably white gold, engraved with the words 16 juillet 2011. I started to smile as did Charles as he pulled a very similar bracelet from his box that read 16 luglio 2011. The date of our very first meeting.

"Actually I don't know if it's more cute or creepy," I thought out loud as I looked at both of our wrists. "Cute. Definitely cute," Charles cooed. "We're going to be that couple who complete each other's sentences and imitate each other's movements, right?" I smirked and Charlie nodded enthusiastically. "It's the dream," he grinned and poured me a glass of prosecco. "This whole year has been one big dream," I agreed. "Well, you'd better get ready for a lot more like this, because I'm not going to change anything about it for another 70 years," Charles declared, and a satisfied smile settled on my face. This year has brought me the most happiness in my life. So many wonderful experiences with the best person in the world, definitely the best for me. Neither the crash in Imola nor the miscarriage could overshadow all the great things that happened to me this year. And the fact that I met Charles again after years was the trigger of all this.

"Do we really have to leave?" I whimpered on the morning of December 26th as we packed our bags and had them carried back to the car. We had a three-hour drive to Gorzano to see my dad, but I didn't want to leave our little paradise at all. "We will definitely come back here again," Charles assured me as we handed in our room card to reception. The receptionist looked at me sympathetically, as if he completely understood my reluctance to leave. We got into the car and drove about 100 kilometers when Charles suddenly stopped at a gas station and got out. I watched him curiously from my seat as he made his way to the passenger door. "Let's switch," he said to me with a smile and I rolled my eyes at him. "Don't delay. We want to make it to Gorzano in time for a lunch," he urged me and I got out almost in a trance and got into the driver's seat.

"You're getting better," Charles complimented me as I parked in the driveway in front of the La Rosa Gialla guest house, still clutching the steering wheel. The first part of the trip was fine, but as soon as we passed Lago di Garda and got more into civilization, the traffic thickened and my nerves were on the march until parking. "I don't understand why everyone has to go to visits during the holidays," I grumbled and finally let go of the wheel. But as it happens, at home all my gloom disappears immediately. And so, when I saw dad, who had just opened the front door and smiled happily at us, the trauma of the trip was suddenly gone.