| CHAPTER NINE |

All of the Gryffindors gathered around in the Great Hall waiting on the rest of the school to join them. Sarai had desperately tried to get Remus's attention through the chaos of the crowd, but her attempts were futile. He was briskly sent away along with the other teachers to patrol the school in search of Black. Sarai, Dean, and Seamus were currently huddled up in  a far-side corner when the other students from the school arrived. Amidst the crowd she spotted Michael walk in with Terry Boot, a housemate in his year. Sarai and Michael made eye-contact, and she gave him a little wave. 
   "Who are you waving at?" Dean asked, drawing her attention away. 
   Sarai turned back to her friends who had stopped their conversation about Black to realize their friend wasn't paying attention. "Michael, he's over there," She went to point her finger but her hand accidentally rammed into a face. 
  "OW!" Michael cried out clutching his eye, earning snickers from Dean and Seamus. 
    "Oh merlin, Michael," Sarai fretted, "I'm so sorry!"
     "Gee, Sarai." Seamus said, laughter still in his tone, "If you're worried about Black, just go for his eye." 
        "Shove of, Seamus," Sarai said fighting the heat forming on her cheeks, "Er- -Are you alright?" 
   Michael waved her off, removing his hand from his eye. "It's fine, just watch where you're flailing those weapons." He joked, before running a hand through his hair.  "Anyways, I came over here to see if you guys know what's going on." 
   "Sirius Black attacked the Fat Lady. He was trying to get into the Gryffindor common room." Dean informed him. 
   Michael frowned, recalling the conversation with Sarai in the hospital wing. He threw his arm around Sarai's shoulder and gave her a reassuring squeeze.  The heat returned to her cheeks as she could see Dean and Seamus studying Michael closely. There was a hint of mischief in her friends eyes. 
   "Lucky he didn't know what day it was, " Michael said, "I guess he didn't know we were all at the feast," 
   Before he could continue, they students were all interrupted by Dumbledore.
  "The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely proud and important. "Send word with one of the ghosts."
     Professor Dumbledore paused, about to leave the hall, and said, "Oh, yes, you'll be needing..." One casual wave of his wand and the long tables flew to the edges of the hall and stood themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags.
    "Sleep well," said Professor Dumbledore, closing the door behind him.
    The entire hall broke out into excited chatter. Sarai scowled at the light hearted nature of the student body around her, "I don't understand how everyone could be so excited when there's a literal serial killer in the school." She said irritably. 
     Dean and Seamus exchanged looks, and Michael shifted uncomfortably, "I think we all just want answers," He reasoned, "I mean think about it, how do you think he got into the castle in the first place?"
  That question remained in her mind the rest of the evening. 

--

   The next few days, all anyone wanted to talk about was Sirius Black, much to Sarai's annoyance. All she wanted was to forget about Black entering the castle. She felt paranoid, as if Black was going to jump out at any given time. It made her paranoia worse when other classmates came up with ideas as to how Black came in. One in particular, was Hannah Abbot. A Hufflepuff, who was very insistent that Black could turn into a flowering shrub in her Herbology class. 
    "She's insane," Dean muttered from beside Sarai, "There's no way it would be that easy." 
   Sarai hummed in agreement. "I don't think Black is the flowers and rainbows type." 

  The portrait guarding the Gryffindor Tower was replaced by a Sir Cadogan. A lunatic knight who was constantly challenging anyone near him to duels. It was starting to get on Seamus's nerves, especially when Sir Cadogan caused him to land a detention for being late to class. 
   "He's a total nutter!" Seamus exclaimed at dinner that evening. He was shoveling bits of chicken in his mouth in between statements. "Why couldn't we get anyone else." 
  Sarai scrunched up her nose as she watched him, "Don't talk with your mouth full." She scolded him. "And besides, no one else wanted the job." 
    Dean nodded his head in agreement, "Can't blame them though, not after what happened to the Fat Lady." Dean said. His face then broke out into a smirk that Sarai instantly did not like. 
   "So," Started Dean, looking at Sarai with the same mischief in his eye he had the night of the attack, "You and Michael have gotten pretty close here lately." 
  Sarai choked on the bread roll she had just taken a bite out of, surprise covering her features. Seamus sniggered, "You remember her face when she poked him in the eye? I didn't think I've ever seen her face change colors that quickly." 
   Sarai scowled at them. "He's a friend, and I felt bad for hitting him." She said pointedly to Dean. "We both have the same electives. We naturally spend a lot of time together." 
   Dean and Seamus had giant grins on their faces as they watched their friend become more and more flustered at the conversation. "I'm just saying Sar, you spend a lot of your free time with him after class too." Seamus pointed out. 
   "We're studying!" Sarai exclaimed before changing the subject, "Honestly, if you're done playing cupid's little angels, did either of you hear about the quidditch match on Saturday?" She asked. "Apparently they changed the match so Hufflepuff is up against us."