one

She felt so incredibly nauseous.

She didn't know why. It was her first day on the job and she was already being called into the watch commanders office.

She hadn't even been on patrol for more than two hours before being called back to the station. She had a terrible feeling.

The kind of feeling where you want to throw up but your body can't put its thoughts into action. Like when you feel like you need to sneeze but it just won't happen.

After finishing at the top of her class at UC school and transfering stations, her nerves were unsettled.

She wiped her hands on her pants as she walked through the station. This was a type of nervousness she had never felt before.

Her anxiety was getting the best of her and she knew it.

"I'm so sorry," she says after bumping into someone.

"Watch where you're-" the familiar voice says. "Chen."

She looks up to find herself face-to-face with the last person she had been hoping to see.

"Bradford." she says.

"What the hell are you doing here?" he asks, looking down at her.

"I transfered here," she says. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I was called here for a UC opp," Tim said, examining her uniform. "Still on patrol?"

Lucy rolled her eyes, "For your information, I like being on patrol."

"Whatever," Tim scoffed. "Sad to hear that you weren't called in for the opp."

"It is my first day here, Tim. Of course I'm not going to be assigned to an opp."

Tim smirked. "Excuses, just like the ones you used to make at UC school."

Lucy could practically feel steam blowing out of her ears. She was letting him get under her skin.

"I don't have time for this rather boring conversation." she snaps.

"Well neither do I, I'm about to get briefed for my opp. Something that you can't relate to." 

Lucy balled her hands into a fist. "Why are you even at Mid-Wilshire anyway, you were stationed Pasedena last I heard."

"Oh, so you're hearing things about me?" Tim smiled, crossing his arms.

That crooked smile. The feature Lucy hated the most about him.

"Cops talk, Tim. You know that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting that I need to get to."

Lucy sped walked to the watch commanders office. She hated herself for allowing him to get under her skin.

She hated herself even more for allowing him to think for one second that he was better than her.

Lucy strived to be the best at everything she did. The pressure that she had put on herself might've seemed overwhelming to others, but for her, it was a reminder that she needed to work hard for what she wanted.

She knocked lightly on the door to the office before pulling it open.

"Officer Chen," the man behind the desk said. "Please take a seat."

She wiped her hands on her pants again before sitting down.

"I did not have a chance to formally introduce myself," the man continued. "My name is Sergeant Wade Grey, the watch commander for Mid-Wilshire."