chapter 19.

The warrior unit was en route to Ji'yang, where the war had erupted, a five-day journey from their current location. After three days of traveling, they arrived at Hwando and decided to take a well-deserved rest. Hwando City bustled with life, its market teeming with activity. As the warriors rode through the market, Taehyung's eyes were drawn to something that reminded him of the person who never left his thoughts or heart, the tearful eyes and echoing words still vivid in his mind.

Upon reaching an inn, the warriors settled into their rooms, but Taehyung found himself unable to rest. His feet led him back to the bustling market, alive with the voices of vendors. He spotted a stall selling tanghulus, a smile tugging at his lips as memories of Jungkook's complaints about the size of tanghulu surfaced in his mind.

"I will bring him here often," he thought, contemplating future possibilities. Yet, he quickly quashed the notion, considering its improbability. Even if he returned safely to the tribe, the chances of ' his doll ' being there were slim"He's... not mine," he corrected himself silently, yet he couldn't shake off the affectionate nickname he had for Jungkook, calling him 'his doll'.

As he ventured further, his gaze fell upon many perfume sachets awaiting buyers. Unable to resist, Taehyung purchased a beautiful sachet, knowing deep down the slim chances of encountering Jungkook but unable to resist the urge to buy it nonetheless.

"Mister, come to our shop. Buy this hairpin for your wife. Son, come and look at this rare piece of jade hairpin," an old lady called out to Taehyung as he passed her stall. Intrigued, Taehyung stopped, his eyes fixed on the hairpin he had noticed earlier.

He took the pin in his hands.

"Mister, your choice is excellent. Your wife will look stunning in this hairpin, made of rare jade," the lady exclaimed, Taehyung's heart fluttering at the thought of Jungkook as his wife. He caressed the pin, imagining it on Jungkook.

"How much?" he inquired.

"It's a price just for a handsome man like you. You are lucky to possess such charm. For your charm and love for your wife , I will sell it for 100 yang," the lady tried to flatter Taehyung.

Without hesitation, Taehyung handed over 100 yang, and the lady packed it in a handkerchief, which Taehyung tucked into his belt.

His gaze then fell on a jade pendant, his breath heavy as he admired it.

The lady observed the warrior's gaze. "Your choice is indeed excellent. I dare say your wife will be beautiful just by looking at your choice. This is a rare piece of jade pendant," the lady added, employing her usual sales tactics.

'Mom,' Taehyung thought, as the figure of his mother materialized before him. She was dressed in a white hanfu, a beautiful golden crown adorning her head, her smile radiating warmth. A similar jade pendant adorned her hanfu belt. He envisioned his mother chasing after a young Taehyung through the grand corridors and around the palace pond.

His eyes grew moist as he traced his fingers over the pendant.

"How much?" he asked the lady.

"I will offer you a special price, just for you. It's 250 yang," the lady responded, recognizing Taehyung's unlikely willingness to bargain. Without hesitation, Taehyung handed over the money.

"It was our home, Mom. It belonged to us, where now I wander like a stranger," he thought, his mind drifting as he roamed the market.

Taehyung trudged back to the inn to retrieve his horse, his heart heavy with longing and uncertainty. As he made his way opposite the bustling marketplace, he found himself drawn to a secluded spot by a small, serene lake. Sitting at its edge, he gazed pensively at the rippling waters, his mind swirling with memories of happier times.