chapter 22

Jungkook woke up the next day to the beating of the drum. As he stirred, the sound pierced his eardrums, and his face displayed distress. He emerged from his chamber to realize it was already daytime; he had slept the whole morning, perhaps due to the effects of the herbs Hoseok had given him. As his mind drifted to the events of last night, his heart became uneasy instantly as he remembered his nightmare, but the beating of the drum once again pierced his eardrums, distracting him .

As children ran here and there , one of them shouted, "Appa is back." Upon hearing this, Jungkook's heart quickened its pace, knowing that the father of the child was a warrior, which meant Taehyung had also returned.

The beating of the drum signaled the arrival of the warrior unit.

Jungkook ran barefoot with a smile on his face and tears in his eyes, his heart beating hard with anticipation. He wished only to see his sweetheart safe and sound.

He ran across the tribe, the sound of his anklets buzzing, and his hands held his hanfu elegantly as he reached the threshold of the tribe , same place where he bid farewell to his beloved . However, his smile faded as he saw warriors returning on their horses.

Jungkook noticed Taehyung's horse without its rider.

It indicated only one thing if a horse came alone without its owner.

He struggled to breathe, his legs gave out, and he collapsed on the ground. Jimin, who was running behind the prince, reached Jungkook while gasping for air. Jungkook had been too fast in his running.

"Jung-" Jimin began, but his voice caught in his throat as he saw Jungkook sitting there collapsed, with no expression, as if he had lost the world.

"Jungkook," Jimin shouted and ran to him.

Jungkook did not say anything nor react; he simply looked at Taehyung's horse as it approached the tribe with the other warriors.

Jimin followed the gaze of the prince and saw, his hands started trembling.

"No... N..no, Jungkook... it's not," Jimin managed to say.

He sat there with Jungkook.

"Please say something, Your Highness, I beseech you , at least cry.  Don't sit like this. Please, please, please, I beg you," Jimin cried. He feared Jungkook would go into shock, while Jungkook sat there with no expression.

As Jimin's gaze fell on namjoon he exclaimed "Look, Taehyung is there, he is there, Jungkook, look,"  happily in  tears.

As Jimin mentioned Taehyung's name, Jungkook looked at him in confusion.

"Look there, Your Highness, your Taehyung, your outcast, your forsaken, he is with the patron," Jimin said, looking at Jungkook.

As Jungkook gazed at where Jimin was looking, he caught his breath again. Though his beloved's condition was not good, at least he was alive, which was most important to Jungkook for now.

He struggled greatly to get up on his knees, a few tears escaping his cheeks as he saw his beloved covered in blood, barely able to keep his eyes open.

Jungkook ran to Hoseok's chamber.

"S..Save my Taehyung, I beseech you ," he begged Hoseok, crying, who was initially confused.

"They've returned. It looks like Taehyung is badly injured," Jimin added. Hoseok understood the situation. All three ran to Taehyung's chamber, which was Jungkook's makeshift chamber.

Soon Namjoon arrived, holding Taehyung, who was growling in pain.

Jungkook's gut churned as he looked at his beloved.