12 • Trust issues

Time ticked by, as Aadhriti and Anirudh came to a beginning of their flourishing souls. Aadhriti informed the watchman and then reported to the area police station about the stalker. But, the thought of being interrogated deeply prevented her to report about the breaking in.

She, herself was not sure of the circumstances and hesitated to believe her apartment was broken into. But that sticker-

"Kya hua hai tujhe? Jabse aayi hai, bas chup chap kuch sochti rahti hai. Something's bothering you?" Adhiraj spoke as he tremendously clicked the buttons of the joystick. He was killing off the Zombies in a video game. He glanced at Aadhriti once and asked again, "Boyfriend cheater nikla?"

"Nahi woh waise nahi hai- what!?" Aadhriti looked at Adhiraj as she realised what she was saying. And found him already looking at her with a shocked expression.

"You have a boyfr-"

"No. I don't! Dare you open your mouth again, I'll kill you." Aadhriti warned him and scoffed, and folded her hands against her chest while removing her gaze from him. She eyed him one last time and found him busy with his game.

She was surprised as he didn't argue back after what she said. Instead, he obeyed her like a puppy and sat back quietly. A proud smile erupted on Aadhriti's lips as she faced victory over him, for the very first time.

Adhiraj glanced at her once and slayed the game while saying, "Jyada haso mat. Warna hum Baba ko bol denge, that you have a boyfriend."

Adhiraj would never change. Aadhriti rolled her eyes and got up from the couch while murmuring, "As if he would believe you."

Adhiraj smirked and leaned onto the joystick while turning into his threatening tone, "He might not believe me but, he would definitely believe Mr. Anirudh Chauhan."

"How- You're trying to deceive me, huh? Your tricks will not work on me this time. 19 saalon se jhel rahe hai tujhe. Itna toh jaan gaye hai ki tu ek number ka chhichhora hai." Aadhriti stomped the ground and went up to her room as she finished what she had started.

'How did he find out?'

Adhiraj laughed his heart out as his sister disappeared from the sight. He shook his head with incisiveness and held his phone after being victorious. The phone rang in his hand, indicating an incoming call.

A sly smile crept on his face as he caught the sight of the name. 'IPS Jiju'.

He picked up the phone and held it near his ear, "Kaise yaad kiya, Jiju?"

Adhiraj felt him roll his eyes as he spoke, "I am on duty now, Adhiraj. I would keep the conversation short. The white powder you espied coming out of that wooden box- was cocaine."

A shock wave ran through Adhiraj's spine and he sat still with goosebumps filled in his body. An aghast frown made its way to Adhiraj's brows as he questioned himself, "What?"

A reply came from Anirudh's perception, "Tested your hankerchief. Fully approved of it being in contact with cocaine."

Adhiraj's world crumbled into pieces with Anirudh's retort. His lips dried up and he became unable to speak. His mind went blank. He could only hear Anirudh's voice when his mind was shaken out of his thoughts by hearing a lady scream 'GAME OVER' in the TV.

"You okay, Adhiraj?" Anirudh enquired out of antiquated curiosity.

"Am I in trouble?" Adhiraj's lips quivered with the question. The high-level confidence degraded to zero.

A small chuckle followed Anirudh's voice, which made Adhiraj's brows to find a confused frown.

"You're alright. Unless you have deleted the photographs and the video."