3. The Cloud Recesses

Disclaimer: Mo Dao Zu Shi and The Untamed do not belong to me. The settings, characters, and plot belong, respectively, to Mo Xiang Tong Xiu and the screenwriters of The Untamed. Here, only the plot of this fanfiction and my four OCs, Huang Minghui / Lan Minghui, Lan Biyun, Li Xingsi / Wei Xingsi, and Bai Yilian / Nie Yilian, are my creations. And an important reminder that this ISN'T REAL; please value your lives and do not try to get hit by a car to get this sort of adventure.

Song for this chapter: THE9 - Hello

Six years later

"Huaisang, Yilian, the Gusu Lan Sect are inviting disciples of other sects to the Cloud Recesses for lectures," Nie Mingjue explained. "This would be a good opportunity for your education, so I will be sending you there."

"Da-ge, I don't wanna gooooooooo," Nie Huaisang whined. "Lan Qiren is said to be terrifyingly strict, and his nephew, Hanguang-Jun, is-"

"Nie Huaisang! Do not say such things about your elders," Nie Mingjue thundered. "Lan Qiren may be strict, but he is one of the best teachers out there. You haven't even met Hanguang-Jun yet, so don't make first impressions based on rumors. And you are going to go, whether you like it or not."

Nie Huaisang groaned. Nie Yilian, however, felt a jolt of excitement. She would finally be able to see her friends again!

"Da-ge, thank you for this opportunity. I think that Huaisang and I would benefit from this," Nie Yilian said. "When are we going to set off for Gusu?"

"In four days. Go prepare what you'll need."

Four days later

It was finally time to depart for the Cloud Recesses. Making sure that she had everything she'd need, Nie Yilian hurried to the infirmary to find Nie Yan.

"Yan-Shijie!"

"Yilian!"

The two of them exchanged hugs before Nie Yan said, "Stay safe in the Cloud Recesses and don't go looking for trouble, okay? I won't be able to have you with me if something happens to you! Remember to also have fun and be kind. I'll see you again in a few months."

"Don't worry, Shijie. I will take care of myself so I can come back in one piece and help you," Nie Yilian promised. "I better get going now, or else they'll leave without me! See you!"

***************

The Qinghe Nie Sect's disciples arrived at the Cloud Recesses late in the afternoon. Hengdian World Studios, though they'd tried, had failed to recreate the indescribable beauty of the Gusu Lan Sect's residence. The elegantly built structures were made of dark wood and decorated with contrasting shades of pale aquamarine. The air was cool and refreshing, and everything felt alive; the leaves were lush emerald, and the bubbling of creeks was audible. Nie Yilian loved her home in the Unclean Realm of Qinghe, but those who lived here were indeed lucky.

A few Lan disciples greeted them by the gate. Nie Yilian searched for Lan Biyun and Lan Minghui eagerly, but they weren't among the disciples present.

"Nie-gongzi, Nie-guniang, and disciples of the Qinghe Nie Sect, welcome to the Cloud Recesses," one of the disciples said. "The saluting ceremony will take place tomorrow, and classes will officially begin the day after. Now, please follow us to your rooms, and we hope that you'll enjoy your stay here."

Nie Yilian entered her room with one of her fellow disciples and friends, Nie Meiyun. "Meiyun, are you looking forward to the lectures here?"

"To learn and meet new people, yes. The rules, no."

Nie Yilian laughed. "Ha, relatable. I heard that from the Yunmeng Jiang Sect, Jiang Wanyin, the future leader of the Jiang Clan, and his sister, Jiang Yanli, are both coming!"

"Wei Wuxian, the Jiang Sect's head disciple, and his sister Wei Xingsi are also attending lectures, right? I'm pretty sure that the heir to the Lanling Jin Clan, Jin Zixuan, is also coming," Nie Meiyun added. "Though I am curious about whether the Qishan Wen Sect will send some of their disciples here, too."

"I don't think that the Qishan Wen Sect has ever sent anyone to the Gusu Lan Sect's lectures before," Nie Yilian mused. Right now, it was the Qishan Wen Sect's time of peak success, and she knew that Wen Chao would disrupt the ceremony the next morning to accompany Wen Ning and Wen Qing to the Cloud Recesses. There was no way for her to explain that, though. "Anyways, I'm going to wander around and explore for a while. See you later."

***************

Nie Yilian saw two girls sitting under a tree. One of them had narrow, blueish-grey eyes and a flower hairpin tucked in her bun, while the other had large, dark brown eyes and a calculating, unpredictable vibe to her. They were talking to each other quietly, glancing around them once in a while. Could it be...?

"Yilian?" The girl with the flower hairpin called. As she stood up, she walked out from under the tree and from the shadow that had been obscuring her features. It was Lan Biyun exactly as she'd remembered; clear skin, delicate facial features like a doll that were tinged with a faint expression of arrogance, and a tall figure emphasized by her straight posture. Nie Yilian's hands shook a little as tears started to spill out of her eyes.

A cold, delicate hand gently wiped them away. Nie Yilian turned to notice the other girl, Huang Minghui—no, Lan Minghui. The slightly unsettling gaze that her eyes had embodied just a moment ago faded away, and they were also shedding tears and faint red.

"I'm so happy to see you again," Lan Minghui whispered. "How have you been?"

Much as Nie Yilian just wanted to hug her friends tightly and ignore everything else that was going on, she couldn't let Wei Xingsi miss all of this. "Let's talk tomorrow, when Xingsi also comes. It'll be the four of us, just like the way we remember."

(A/N): Short chapter, and a big time skip, I know... Unfortunately, there isn't much known about NHS and NMJ's childhood, so... Anyways, hope that you're all enjoying this!

Non-canon character names:
Nie Meiyun (聂美云)

聂 (Nie) = A surname
美 (Mei) = Beautiful; satisfactory
云 (Yun) = Cloud
Based off a real person, Lai Meiyun, also known as Sunny