8. Rekindle

September 5th 1986, MTV Music Video Awards

The nominees were announced on August 4th.
Two nominations went to two Madonnas songs along with Morris Day, Pay Benatar, and Prince & The Revolution. Of course the awards would be presented to the choreographer of the music video not the artist unless the artist was the choreographer or co-choreographer . MTV announced in June that the 1986 Video Music Awards would be held at New York's Palladium and Los Angeles's Universal Amphitheatre today September 5 . Dana said the decision to broadcast the ceremony from multiple venues came out of a desire to make the ceremony more casual, as did the decisions to forego a traditional host, present awards throughout the venues instead of at a podium, and loosen time limitations. Groups of artists were assigned cities like Robert Palmer, The Monkees, INXS, Mr. Mister, Whitney Houston, and Pet Shop Boys are performing in Los Angeles while The Hooters, 'Til Tuesday, Simply Red, and Tina Turner are performing in New York.

I asked or begged Ronnie to go with me, he of course couldn't deny after I threatened to cry until I couldn't breathe and died. "Is that Ronnie is a suit?" I said sarcastically he rolled his eyes and smacked his lips "Don't even start with me man. You nervous?"

"Whattt? Me? No I'm good."

He squinted "you lying like a mothafucka you nervous as hell" he teased me with his words. "No I'm not I'm perfectly fine if anything I'm...uh excited shoo"

"Okay I'm lying I'm scared" he laughed as we got in the car. "I knew it"

"Okay but I have a reason for that the whole thing is gonna be broadcasted live in a room with legendary people and I'm presenting by myself what if I mess up...them people gon nickname me"

He laughed "you'll be fine you do this every time you have to speak in front of a crowd you need to relax"

Ugh he was right I hated talking in front of people I was so awkward and shy it was just people watching me that made me so nervous like what if they were judging me?

Arriving there were people everywhere, people with cameras , people with microphones, etc.

"I've never been to one of these before" Ronnie said in my ear he grabbed my hand. His was sweaty I guess I wasn't the only nervous one.

I looked down "are you nervous?" I smiled slyly at him. He looked at me like I said something that offended him "what hell no I'm good" sure you are.

After a while we sat down in our seats. We saw performances and artists winning their awards. Now it was my turn to present the award and I was shaking and my stomach was doing turns.

As my name was announced and I walked out there were people cheering while there was a big ass camera in my face and around me. I smiled and waited for the cheering to stop. I read the teleprompter in front of me. "The names in this category have all been honored for Best Choreography in a Video." I heard a few more cheers "so why don't we look at their work" the videos played on the screen and I held the little card with the winner nervously in my hand. I heard people scream as the nominees played on the screen. "And the winner for Best Choreography in a video issss...." I opened the card and my heart dropped to my ass. "Prince and the Revolution for Raspberry Berret!" The song played and people cheered and screamed for them. Luckily for me Prince and The revolution were on tour and today their show was somewhere in Asia. More words came across the teleprompter "unfortunately Prince couldn't join us today as he is on tour so I'll hold on to this" they laughed "but I'll make sure to give it to him soon" and I ran off the stage with the award. As I got off the stage I gave the award to someone who was working there wearing all black. I headed back to my seat seeing Ronnie stare at me smiling. "What?"