16. Not It

June 26th 1988

Today Coming to America was released and I was scared as all hell. I stood in the middle of Arsenio and Eddie as we smiled taking pictures together. All the flashes were hell I swear. Every few minutes you could hear paparazzi yelling "Eddie over here! Diamond give is a big smile! Hey Arsenio!"

Cameras were everywhere they saw us talking and rushed to us mid conversation wanting pictures.

They left eventually "they're everywhere oh my god."

Eddie did that laugh that sounded like it hurt "Yes, yes they are. You look amazing though ."

I smiled "oh thank you thank you."

"They want you to perform at the after party."

"The after who? Who finna perform? Why can't you perform? My girl wants to party all the time party alll the tiiimmmeeeeee yeahhh." I sang the song while doing a stupid dance to add affect

"Ahaha yo lil ass thought that was funny?"

I shrugged. "All im saying is if we wanna use someone we should use the one and only Edward Murphy."

I knew everyone's government name it was something I took pride in.

"Hey okay" he laughed awkwardly moving me away from people "don't be out here saying my name like that have you lost your mind?"

I giggled "sorryyyy."

"If I hear someone start calling me that imma beat yo ass."

"You wouldn't."

"You right you heavy handed I wont do shit."

I slapped his chest "im not heavy handed."

"No see look right there you probably broke a bone or something. Im serious look feel it feel fragile."

I rolled my eyes at him. I put one of my legs in front the other crossing my legs a bit hearing my heel click on the floor while looking around. It was cool seeing a bunch of black folk around each other without any violence happening.

Eventually the movie was starting I sat next to Arsenio and we joked a few times. It was an amazing film that I was grateful to be apart of. People loved it as well. Still it was awkward seeing myself especially during those kissing scenes although people whistled and cheered during it made me even more embarrassed. Arsenio held my hand through the embarrassment as a good friend and would whisper "don't be dramatic girl".

💿

I looked down at him taking my heels off and kissing my feet. I thought it was cute.

It was 7:47 I went home early after getting a call from Prince saying he flew in to see me. We moved on from me accusing him of cheating. I promised to give him a chance before jumping to conclusions especially when he hasn't given me any reason to feel like he's going behind my back.

"I take it the premiere was fun?"

"It was...the little party thing was better. Seeing me on screen was soo weird."

He got up and walked into my closet.

"You know." I called as I got up and sat on my vanity chair "im thinking about moving."

"Really? Where?"

"Here." I looked at myself in the mirror as I took my earrings off. "I just feel like maybe it's time to get my own place."